The Distance

Chapter Forty-Eight: The Distance

*~*~*~*

"Hey," Arizona greeted Amelia, Edwards, and I in radiology, us being in the process of giving Herman another MRI to see if her tumor had grown since her last one. "Sorry I'm late. I''m sorry I'm late."

"Three surgeries today, Robbins," Herman sighed, her voice coming in over the intercom. "They're not gonna round on themselves."

"I know. I'm on it," Arizona promised. "Yeah, um, Wilson just barged in and stole my shower. Edwards, does she always walk around naked?"

"Not around the hospital, generally," Edwards shook her head.

"It's like Residents Gone Wild," Arizona complained, having started to live at Alex's house.

"Robbins, do you live with residents?" Herman sat up in the next room, looking at the blonde through the window.

"Oh, God. Is that thing still on?" Arizona's eyes widened, not having realized she left the intercom on.

"You're a grownup. Get your own place," Herman told her. "I need you focused here."

"Lie down, Nicole," Amelia instructed the older woman.

"So, d-did Wilson just climb in the shower with you?" Herman asked once she had laid back down.

"I kinda wanna hear this myself," I raised a brow at my friend.

"Yeah. No," Arizona shook her head. "We-- Instead of me."

"Was she coming on to you?" Herman questioned. I couldn't help but snort at the idea, remembering Leah Murphy's little infatuation with Arizona last year.

"No!" Arizona's eyes widened at the idea.

"Doubtful," Herman sighed.

"You know what? Can we--" Arizona shook her head. "Just-- Let's drop it.

"Residents Gone Wild," Herman laughed at the joke.

"Would you go?" Amelia looked back at Arizona, a frown filling her lips. "You're making her laugh too much."

"Gotta say, that nutcase is starting to grow on me," I nodded at the window as Arizona left, in Herman's direction. "She's pretty entertaining when she doesn't have a stick up her ass."

"Talking about me, are we?" My head snapped towards the doorway, finding none other than Catherine Avery standing there.

"O-Of course not," I cleared my throat, ignoring the amused chuckle coming from Amelia. "It's lovely to see you Catherine, but I thought you were flying back to Boston today?"

"Plans have changed. I'm actually scrubbing in on one of Richard's surgeries today," she informed me. "I heard that Jackson is coming in today. Did you know that?"

"Wait, he's coming back today?" Amelia questioned.

"They just lost their baby a few days ago," Edwards pointed out.

"Yes, I knew." I said, choosing to ignore Amelia and Edwards' comments. "Jackson told me."

"Right," she only frowned at my words. "So he calls his sister, but not his mother?"

"Catherine--" I began, but she only ignored me as she walked off. A sigh escaped me as I rested my chin in my hand, not having the energy to follow after her.