Chapter 21: I'll be Back

Song:

Stomach Tied in Knots by Sleeping with Sirens
(Yet again)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day, I was back at work, manning the register. It was another pretty uneventful rainy day. That was until unexpected company showed up. The guy entered the shop and approached the register. He had on an oversized gray hoodie and dark jeans. He seemed pretty muscular and had giant, threatening dark brown eyes. His black hair was drenched from the rain and was matted to his forehead.

Being the polite employee that I am, I smiled at him before taking his order.

"Good afternoon, sir. May I take your order?"

He glared at me. If looks could kill, I would've fallen over and died right then and there. "I'm not here for some overpriced crap and in cup," he growled.

I was taken aback by his tone. "Um...are you here for some overpriced crap in a cone?"

"No!" he shouted in my face, causing everyone in the shop to look up.

"Sir, I'm not sure what the problem is," I replied calmly.

"You know exactly what the problem is!"

Chris heard all of the commotion and jogged over to try to diffuse the situation. "Excuse me sir, I'm going to have to ask you to leave. You're making the other customers and my cashier uncomfortable."

The man glared at Chris for a while and stormed toward the door. "I'll be back in a week," he threatened. "You'll be seeing me again."

Then he slammed the door behind him and disappeared out of sight. I wasn't sure what to make of the situation. I fought the urge to break down crying right then and there. Holding back tears has always been a challenge for me and before I knew it, I was wiping away tears.

"Oh, c'mon. Don't cry," he said quietly. "I think you should go home and relax for the rest of the day."

I looked at the clock. "But it's only six," I said through my tears.

"It's fine. I'm sure we can manage without you."

I nodded. "Okay. Thanks."

Instead of taking the bus home, I called Connor. I didn't want strangers on the bus seeing me like this.

"Amy?" Connor answered, worry clear in his voice. "Everything alright?"

"Can you come get me?" I asked, trying not to cry.

"Of course," he replied gently. "Are you...crying?"

"Kind of."

"I'll be there as soon as I can!"

Then he hung up. About ten minutes later, Connor's car pulled up and he ran inside. Once he saw me, he immediately wrapped his strong arms around me and stroked my hair.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"I think so."

He released me and grabbed my hand. "Is it alright if we hang out at my place?"

I nodded.

"Alright, let's go."

As we approached the car, Connor let go of my hand and being the sweetheart he is, opened the car door for me. I got in and Connor walked to the other side to get in the driver's seat.

~*~

Connor and I walked inside the house hand in hand. The place was a complete and utter mess, as usual. Random items, such as paper and magazines were sprawled across the floor.