XVIII.*

It had been thirty-three hours since I realized I was falling for him

It had been thirty-three hours since I realized I was falling for him. Thirty-three hours he told me he was going to protect me. Thirty-three hours ago I realized that no one had gone this far for me.

Thirty-three hours ago we were still in Hawkins.

He had taken me to California.

Along the way I pestered him about turning back and that what I feel will wash away any second, but he didn't budge as he also refused to tell me where we were going. He did nothing but take my hand in his and kiss the back of my hand.

What I don't understand is his commitment. All this time, he didn't care about Hawkins while all I could think about was the people I left behind.

But then again, that's what I'm running from.

"Jesus fucking Christ," I curse once my eyes connect with the deep breathless blue that is the wavy ocean. "Do you see this Billy? It's fucking beautiful!" I point out the window towards the beach, maybe getting a little too excited like a child.

"I agree but it's not the beach that I know," he replies. What can get any better than this view?

He zooms past it on the highway, making me frown. What beach is sooo much better than this? "You're such a Californian," I chuckle, my ass being up for any beach any day.

"I'm taking you to the best one. The one with the beach house my family owns," he says, his words just surprising me one after another.

"It's like you had everything here," I state, mesmerized by the beautiful scenery.

"I did. For a while," he goes on as to what he did here and why his family own a beach house but all I can think about is the lifestyle you can have here. Endless parties, possibilities, a beach right in front of you when you wake up, and all the girls he must've had here before me. All I can think about is how he chose me just because of Hawkins, and how he'd replace me with all these wavy-haired, nicely tanned girls if we had lived in California.

"I guess you could say you were king here, too?" I ask, all my attention towards him until we pass a shopping center full of stores filled with clothes. Clean clothes that we completely left without.

I cut him off agitatedly, "Hey Billy? Not to sound needy but it'd be nice if we had a spare set of clothes."

"We don't have to have clothes on," he says, probably thinking that he's sooooo smooth.

I shoot a glare at him until he finally caves in and takes the next exit off the highway. Looking for any store possible, I see this fiery logo far ahead past two stoplights. Kmart.

"Straight ahead! It's Kmart," I point my index finger ahead, relief flying over me as I realize that these jeans can finally be put to wash later.