XLI.*

"I loved being in my head so much, it was getting harder and harder being with other people." –Marian Keyes

Two weeks later

The papers of unimportant scribbling were soon overflowing out my trash can, since I ruled them as unimportant for my theory: Billy Hargrove is alive.

Every time someone entered my room, I stashed the numerous papers under my mattress and kicked my board under my bed. I couldn't show it to anyone, not until everything's connected and completed.

Just last week Dustin walked in before I hid my notes, but he only focused on the blunt between my fingers. "Hey Dee...what are you doing?"

Now earlier that day Jessie dropped off some...stuff he brought me from his trip to Florida and told me the friends he made there were waiting outside so they can take another mini road trip to New York. He had given me a stash of various pills I couldn't even pronounce at the time. Jessie told me it's to help me feel better, and I don't know who told him about Billy but I couldn't complain, maybe he pays attention to the news. They were going to numb the pain and that's all I wanted before I find Billy.

So with the weed and the oxycodone going hand in hand throughout my veins, I was a bit slow that day. "Nothing," I smiled wearily at my brother, "just staring at the wall."

With his eyebrow raised, Dustin sighed before telling me, "You've been cooped up in these four walls for a while now, since what, the time Max called you? Anyways I was thinking maybe we could go somewhere and have your skin get some sun."

With my irregular breathing, I managed to chuckle. I would be in deep shit if he knew what I looked like fucked up on drugs, but thankfully he doesn't. He probably doesn't even remember what I look like drunk or high on weed. "No can do, Dustin. I have strict...work going on."

"You just told me you were staring at the wall." Dustin protested with his voice being louder.

"Look," my mood had changed so quickly it had almost terrified me as I snapped at him almost slurring my words, "don't you always want to be with your friends? Go out with them, I'll be fine."

"I don't want to go anywhere with them–"

"Steve then! Go with Steve then," I interrupted him before he finally gave up and closed the door harshly.

I wasn't trying to push everyone away, but shit happens when you're on a different pill every night.

Speaking of Steve, he had gotten tired of my sadness. So he left. He said he wouldn't leave me. I only see him a few times a week. Before it was every single day, making sure I was okay, or at least breathing. I knew where I could find him though. I knew where to find everyone if I needed to. The movie rental place was everyone's downtime. It's fine though. Steve isn't supposed to wait after me, he's supposed to live his life.

Today though, Jessie was banging on my door at nine in the fucking morning. I guess he came back from his mini trip to New York because in back of him, a very colorful van speeds away with other figures in it. There at my front door stood Jessie with two duffel bags and a suitcase. If you take a closer look you'll find his bloodshot eyes and hickeys on his neck. "Finally back i suppose?"

"Shut up I'm so fucked right now," Jessie clenches his eyes before scooting past me and slouching towards the couch. There he lands face front on the couch as I close the front door.

"It looks like you had a good time, you know being with hippies." I state referring to the car and the flower imprinted Hawaiian shirt he has on.