XLIV. Part 2

"It's you I find in all these places
in my mind
and I love you in ways
I cannot let go." –Vivian Rose

 Steve was consulting with the kids who somehow found out about Diana

Steve was consulting with the kids who somehow found out about Diana. Max and El were the most distraught out of the bunch, lightly crying in each other's arms even though the first thing Steve told them was that she was going to be okay. Dustin was in the room with Diana, clutching onto her cold hand as she lay on the hospital bed with her eyes closed, on the table next to them a bouquet of flowers and a teddy bear brought by the kids. She was given IV fluids and needle attached to her forearm and dressed in those ugly hospital gowns when the kids piled into the room, dismissing the rule of two at a time.

Max could only let more tears fall down her cheeks as she rounded the other side of the bed, somehow only thinking of Billy and thanking him for not taking her away from earth just yet. Dustin only sat in silence when he saw his friends, only giving them a small smile. All he wanted was for her to wake up, he couldn't focus on them.

The kids all just stood there in silence, some of them smiling when thinking back to the time where Diana literally hit the love of her life at the Hawkins Pool just to distract him. For the girls, it was back at that diner when they were all soaking wet and talking shit about boys. Minutes passed until Lucas lightly grabbed Max and Mike took El's hand, leading them back out. Even Dustin excuses himself, deciding he needed a breath of fresh air, leaving Steve alone with Diana. Steve sat in the chair next to the bed that Dustin once occupied and held her hand, his chest feeling hollow. He couldn't help but feel guilty.  His head fell forward onto the side of the bed, next to Diana's arm. He clenched his eyes shut and bit down on lip to not cry again, because there shouldn't be a reason to cry. She's okay.

"Am I dreaming or is that you, Steve," her dreamy voice almost knocked Steve out of his seat. He lifted his head from the bed so abruptly he developed a cramp in his neck but it didn't matter. Before his eyes, Diana Henderson's eyes stared back at him with a new sense of liveliness he hasn't seen in a long time. A small curve was plastered on her lips and all Steve could do was chuckle and squeeze her hand while his eyes glistened with tears while thinking back to that time where all last name H's nearly hated each other

"Yeah it's me, don't get too excited," Steve smiled back at her, a tear slipping out his eye.

"Don't cry, Steve," Diana states even though her eyes are fighting back tears, "I'm here and you're here. You kept your promise, you said you wouldn't leave."

Even though she tried to reassure him he knew it wasn't true. "I didn't keep my promise Dee, I almost lost you!"

"Steve lets face it, I was long gone by the time you came back. I've been in another world these past few months. You couldn't have done anything so don't you dare think it's your fault." Diana draws in a deep breath before continuing, "this is my doing and i understand that...I just can't believe it took a near death situation for me to realize that Billy's gone, that Billy's dead. I can't smile like everything's okay because I'm still not over it. The only difference this time is that I can finally accept his passing."