Chapter 26

Chapter 26

I took a deep breath before I answered the phone and lifted it to my ear. "Hello?"

"What the fuck is this, Ellie? I turn on my television and see you've found yourself another boyfriend!" Luke yelled at me. I'm sure everyone in the room could hear it. Especially Harry since he was standing so close.

"Luke, it's not like that."

"Sure, it is. When were you planning on telling me this?"

"Please listen to me. It's not what you think. He's just a friend."

But, that was a lie. Harry is more than just a friend to me. He's a shoulder to cry on, the person I go to when I have a problem, the one I can tell anything to.

"That's how it starts right? Friends become more than friends. And then I see your goddamn face all over the fucking television screen!"

Hearing him swear so much didn't surprise me. It certainly isn't the first time he's done this.

"I'm serious, Luke. It's not what you think. We're nothing more than friends. I promise." By now tears were streaming down my face. I didn't like being yelled at and him swearing in every sentence didn't make it any better.

"It says you dated this asshole in the past! Why haven't you told me about him?"

"Because it never came up! We never talked about anything that happened in the past. You made sure of that! Why does this bother you so much?!" Now I was screaming. I wasn't going to let him make me feel like shit.

"Are you kidding me?! Ellie, it bothers me. You're my girlfriend and you're off screwing around with another guy behind my back!"

"I told you. I'm not with him. It was in the past, but that's just what it is. The past."

"I'm not sure I believe you. The fact that you didn't even bother to tell me that one of the guys in the band you're touring with happens to be your ex-boyfriend. It bothers me. I'm sorry, Ellie, but I can't do this anymore."

"What are you saying?" He can't break up with me over the phone. That's exactly what I was trying to avoid doing with him, but Luke doesn't care. He only does what he wants. It doesn't matter if he hurts anyone in the process.

"We're done. I'm breaking up with you."

I didn't think it would hurt as much as it did. My chest felt like I was just run over by a truck. I don't understand. Tears were still flowing down my face when Harry took the phone out of my hand. I didn't bother in stopping him.

"What the hell is your problem, mate?" Harry asked.

I could hear Luke's response on the other end. "Who is this?"

"The asshole that's on the television with Ellie."

"You've got some nerve talking to me. You don't know me, and you don't want to."

"Me? ME?!" Now Harry was yelling. Zayn, Louis, and Jules went outside to avoid any more of this. Harry wasn't the best person to be around when he was angry, and trust me, he's furious. I swear I could see smoke coming out of his ears. "You've got nerve talking to her like that. If you want a girl to like you, you have to show them respect and let them speak."

"Shut the fuck up, man. I don't need good boy lessons from your sorry ass."

"Screw you asshole. You don't deserve Ellie. She's better off without you. She's better off with me."

"Whatever."

"Don't let me catch you trying to call her. If I do, I will personally give you a taste of your own medicine."