Chapter 38

Chapter 38

"Are you cheating on me, Ellie?"

What was he talking about? Of course I wasn't cheating on him. Where did he get that crazy idea?

"What are you talking about?" I asked with confusion laced in my voice.

Harry stepped into my room and closed the door behind him. He turned to face me and repeated the question. "Are you cheating on me?"

"Of course not," I scoffed.

"Then what the hell is this?!" he started to raise his voice.

He pulled out his phone and pressed a few buttons. He showed me the screen. There's a photo on it. It's me and David from the day I bumped into him on the streets of Pittsburgh. We were hugging and I was smiling. How did he even have that picture? He was at the hotel. He was sick as a dog.

"Harry, that isn't what you think it is!"

"Then what is it, Ellie?!"

"He's a friend. I met him at the hockey game in Pittsburgh. I bumped into him on the street."

"When? If he lives in Pittsburgh, how could you have bumped into him?"

"I went out to buy a thermometer to check your temperature. On the way back, I ran into him."

"You're telling me you left while I was sick to go to the store whenever I told you not to? And then you just happened to bump into your little friend here?"

"Yes, Harry. I needed to make sure you were getting better. I was perfectly fine. No one recognized me."

"Other than this arsehole," he said pointing to the phone screen.

"He's not an arsehole, Harry! He's a friend. Am I not allowed to have friends now?"

"That's not what I'm saying, Ellie. Look at this picture." I sighed as I looked at his phone screen again. "What do you see?"

"It's me hugging one of my friends."

He shook his head. "No. You're wrong."

"How am I wrong? You asked me what I see. That's what I see."

"Look again. What are you doing?"

"I'm smiling?"

"Exactly. I've seen that smile before. You only smile like that when you're around me. You have feelings for him. That's why you look so happy."

"You're insane! Why would I have feelings for him? I just met him. Are you listening to yourself right now?!" My voice started to get louder as well. He was accusing me of something ridiculous. I loved him. Only him.

"Ellie, you don't get it," he shook his head.

"What don't I get?"

"You developed feelings for me the moment we met. Now don't you think that could happen again?"

"Of course not. We made a connection that day. David is just some guy I met at a random hockey game."

"So his name is David?"

"Would you listen to me for five minutes?!" I shouted. "You and I were fate. We're supposed to be together. No matter how hard either of us tries, we will always be meant for each other. You're my other half, Harry. Without you..." I paused as a few tears escaped my eyes. "I'd be nothing."

Harry shook his head again. He put his phone back in his jacket pocket. He shoved his hands in his jean pockets and shrugged.

"I don't know, Ellie. Maybe fate was wrong. Maybe we're not meant for each other."