Please Don't Break His Heart

America's POV

"Aspen..." Maxon says softly. Maxon must have been the person who's eyes were on me when I left the room with Aspen.

"Maxon. Nothing happened. I know I'm a selected now but I wouldn't expect the rules to change for me." I say and look into his eyes.

"Rules? What rules?" He asked confused.

"The rule where a selected can't have an affair with anyone but the prince. That's what you're getting at right?" I laugh a little.

"No. I just want to know why you left the room with him." Maxon said calmly.

"Maxon. Are you saying I can't go and talk to one of my friends?" I say shocked.

"No America that's not what I meant. I just want to know what you guys maybe talked about." He shrugged like it was no big deal.

"Oh. So now I have to tell you everything that happens with Aspen? Maxon you are relentless. I don't have to tell you everything and anything you want to know. What if I don't want to talk about what happened with Aspen? What would you do, kick me out of the selection? Ohhh big whoop de do I got kicked out of the selection what will I ever do now?" I came down hard on him.

Did he really think that he gets to hear everything I say to Aspen? He should trust me. Nothing happened and he should believe me. All that happened was that Aspen asked me to give him a second chance. That might not even be now. That might be while he's still a guard and I'm back in Carolina.

"America. That's not what I meant you are taking this way out of proportion. All I asked was what did you and Aspen talk about! You don't have to answer if you don't want." He held up his hands in surrender.

"Good. Because I don't want to answer your dumb questions Maxon Scheave." I say and walk away.

I leave the party and walk the halls. Soon I bump into Queen Amberly who looks like she is strolling the halls as well.

"Well hello America." She smiled at me.

"Hello Queen Amberly. Shouldn't you be at the party?" I asked wondering why she wasn't.

"I could be asking you the same thing." The Queen spoke quietly. "America. There is something that I know you might not want to talk about but something that I hope you will confide in me." Amberly said and sat down on a bench close to us and patted the seat next to her.

"Ask away." I say and take the seat next to her. She stays quiet for a moment. Thinking.

"Tell me about your life back in Carolina." Was all she said finally. I was taken by surprise. I thought she would be asking about the palace or Maxon. Not my life back in Carolina.

"Well I'm a five and I have two brothers and two sisters. I am the middle child. I love them all so much but sometimes they don't support me. My mother and father are loving and they take care of me and both are a huge part of me and who I am today." I say almost like it's rehearsed and I practiced it a million times. But I didn't. This was just the things I knew about my family.

"America. Dear tell me about the Leger family." The queen stated. I didn't want to disobey her. Even though we have been working together I always wanted for her to be proud of me. I didn't know why.

"Well I'm best friends with Kamber as you know of course and we've been best friends since birth basically. Umm what else. Well my older brother Kota and Kamber's older brother Aspen used to be best friends till my brother Kota became a really pain in the neck. I've actually always had a crush on Aspen and one day I figured out her liked me back. We met in the tree house every night and I would sing him a song and he would pay me a penny. We talked. We kissed. No worries Queen Amberly we never went all the way." I added making sure she knew we never broke the law. Well besides sneaking out past curfew.

"So are you two still a thing?" Queen Amberly looked at me and she didn't seem upset just curious.

"Well he broke my heart the day we told my family we were getting married. Kota said some pretty rude things about how Aspen can't support me and give me the life I need. Later that night in my room he broke it off and told me that he was drafted for the royal palace guard actually." I smile at the irony. "Then Kamber asked me to come to her birthday party and so I did. Then Lamber got Cancer and so I stayed. Aspen came a couple weeks later after his training." I left it off there and hope we could change the subject.

"So does Maxon know?" She asked me. Not changing the subject made me a little sad but I would manage.

"Yeah. He does. He's the one who helped me get over Aspen. Or not really over but made me forget him and move on. During Kamber's birthday party when I sang it reminded me of Aspen and so I ran off crying. I ran to the gardens and Maxon found me. I told him everything. He just listened. He told me that everything will be alright and things will work out." I say closing my eyes remembering the memory.

"Just one more thing America." Queen Amberly looked at me. I nodded my head showing I was listening. "Don't hurt Maxon. He's a gentle hound man and he has never been in love before. I just don't want to see my little boy broken hearted. He gets so much hate and sorrow from his dad. I don't want him to hurt even more because of a girl. If you know what I mean, which I am almost positive you do because you know Maxon greater than any of the other selected." Amberly went on.

I take her hands in mine. "Queen Amberly I swear to you. I will never ever hurt your son. I promise you that." I smile kindly at her and she returns it.

Hello!! I hope you guys are liking this book! I love when I hear how much you guys love it! I also like when you guys comment and you guys give me ideas on what should happen. So if you have any ideas please feel free to comment them. Also please please vote it would mean so much to me.

I also just want to put out there that sometimes my spoilers aren't correct. I mean sometimes I write the chapter before the spoiler but sometimes I don't and I can't fit in part of it. But I guess that is kind of better for you guys because you know basically what's going to happen in the next few upcoming chapters.

I will post again on 5/16/18

Spoiler: Kamber's heath isn't looking so great. Can the doctors save her before she dies?