Chapter 1

Abbie's POV -

The dull white walls of the hospital were cracked and faded, the shocking blue curtains looked so out of place from everything else in the room. Mind you so did Jo and I. Jo, with her dyed blue hair and bright green cast sulked on the hospital bed, whilst I sat next to her with my flower crown perched on top of my head and an amused expression on my face.

"Oww! why did you tell me that climbing that wall was a good idea?"

Jo groaned, looking gloomy down at her green cast.

"I didn't, I told you that it was a bad idea and that the wall looked unstable - but you knew best and climbed it anyway"

"Yeah, well next time tell me more than once, this is like the second friggin bone I've broken this year - and it's only March!"

I chuckled in response and started to gather my bags from the side of my chair.

"Well, I'm off. I gotta try and make the family BBQ before rush hour traffic hits. See ya later Jo"

"Yeah whatever, I'll be fine don't worry!" Jo sarcastically retaliated.

"say happy birthday to your sister for me! And give that sexy cousin of yours my number!" she winked as I started to walk out of the room.

"Eww Jo, seriously?" I shook my head, chuckling as I flounced down the hall.

I reached my car, threw my bags in the boot and then climbed into the drivers seat. As I put the keys in the ignition a cold wind caused goosebumps to travel up my arms. I always felt like this, like someone was watching me. I can always sense something - like someone's there, but they're not.

It doesn't make sense. I'm crazy, right?

Shaking my head I started my car and drove back to my house. It's nothing special, it's a two story, detached terrace house with a small drive way and a poor excuse of a garden. But, I can't complain. It's home.

I moved out of my parents house 3 months ago, as soon as I hit 18 I was outta there. I couldn't handle the constant pressure of living up to my parents stupidly high standards.

My sister Tilly, the golden child, has it all. Perfect job (accountant), mansion like house, hot hubby and child number uno on the way.

Me? I failed my GCSEs, worked in Asda and Burger King for a year, saved up enough money to go to college - then proceeded to drop out of college. Became a waitress for 3 different restaurants, again saved up enough money and moved out of my parents house.

Yeah, it was a shaky start - but I'm in a good position now. I'm head waitress at one of the restaurants and could possibly be getting a job promotion to manager of one of the restaurants in the near future.

But that's not good enough for my parents. Mind you, I could have become president of the USA, found a cure for cancer and had 37 children - but that wouldn't have out shined my dear sister. So, I don't even try to impress them any more, it's not worth it.

I pulled up in front of my house, locked my car and slowly walked up my drive. I Walked into my house (locking the door behind me), threw my bags onto the sofa and trudged upstairs to get ready.

I don't even want to go to this stupid BBQ. It's for my sisters 22nd birthday - in other words let's get the whole family together to bask in Tilly's glory whilst we point and laugh at Abbie's misfortune. I can't even drown my sorrows in alcohol because there won't be any friggin there - trust my sister to get pregnant and make the rest of us suffer.

I looked in the mirror on the wall and made a face at my reflection. The best way to describe it would be a raccoon that got lost and joined the circus - and that's putting it lightly. I took off my flower crown, tied my hair in side fishtail plat and ran my fingers under my eyes in attempt to make my make-up look more presentable. I couldn't be bothered to change, so my pastel blue skater dress and black-on-black vans would have to do.

I glanced down at my shoes and noticed that there were mud stains along the sides and the laces were out of the holes. I bent over, wiped the mud stains off and sorted out my laces. Standing back up, still looking at my shoes, I risked a second glance at my reflection.

Only to have a freaking heart attack.

Not because of my reflection. No. I actually looked okay. But because there was a tall boy, probably my age, with blue eyes and blond hair styled into a quiff, standing behind me and scowling at me through my mirror.

I was terrified. Not only because there was some stranger in my house, but because he looked....scary. His eyes had a black shadow around them and he had really pale skin that you could see the veins that travelled through his face and neck very clearly. He looked furious.

I screamed and span round to face him.

"Who the hell are you? why are you in my house?... How did you get in my house?" I shouted

The unknown boys eyes widened. His pale face started to gain some colour and his veins were less visible.

"Wh..wait...what me?" He stuttered out.

"Yes, YOU! Who else? why are you in my house?" I again shouted, throwing my arms in the air in attempt to make a point.

"Umm..i..what? how's this possible?"

"How's what possible? Get outta my house!... that's it, I'm calling the police!" I launched myself at my landline phone and started to dial 999.

"Hello...999 what's your emerg...." the voice on the other end of the line stated but was cut off by the blue eyed boy grabbing me by the waist and throwing the phone across the room.

I screamed once again and thrashed in his arms. He let me go and did a really confusing thing...he started to run away. Shouldn't that be me? Why is he running?

I grabbed a random shoe from my floor, which just so happened to to a Dr.Marten, and threw it at the boy whilst running after him.

I hit him right in the back of the head yet he didn't even flinch. What?

I ran after him, screaming and cursing at him - when all of a sudden he was gone.

Vanished. Into thin air.

I checked the cupboard, bathroom, spare room. Heck, I even checked under my bed. But he was no-where to be seen. No windows or doors were open, he had just vanished. Evaporated. Like a ghost.

What the hell?