Chapter 30

"Sometimes it's not the person who changes, but it's their mask falling off"

---

Abbie's POV -

Dylan chucked breathlessly and lead back onto the floor.

"Well?" I pushed, looking at him expectantly "how do we help Luke?" I rushed. He rolled his eyes in response and waved me off with his hand.

"Let me catch my breath first yeah?" He said.

After a few moments he sat up and I gasped at his appearance. He looked....normal.
He no longer had black eyes and his skin had gained some colour; meaning that his veins were not showing.

"What? You look normal?" I said and he scowled at my reaction.

"What, would you rather me look like this?" He said and switched back to the 'lost soul' look. I shook my head rapidly.

"That's what I thought" he said triumphantly and turned normal once more.

"How can you do that? Switch between the two?" I asked and clarified. He looked at me blankly before explaining.

"I gotta lot of hate. More than any lost soul; this makes me the most powerful. I don't know why, it must just be because I like messing with people, but I can switch back and forth" he finished and straightened his posture.

"And before you ask, no. I'm not going to open up to you about my past. I hate you. I hate your friends. I hate everybody, okay? I'm doing this for me, to help my fellow lost souls. I'm not doing this for you, remember?" He asked rhetorically and angrily got to his feet.

I nodded and smiled inwardly, he cared. He has a strange way of showing it, but he cares.

"By the looks of things" he started "Luke's weakness is you; To put it simply. He didn't like it when you were in danger or getting hurt and he certainly didn't like it when he thought you and I were... involved" he said and smirked but continued.

"So yeah, basically his humanity showed through when you were in danger or if he thought he was losing you to someone else. That's all I could draw from that meeting - I'll need to observe him in more situations to try and figure out how to turn him back" he finished and I nodded smiling slightly.

Noticing my happiness he frowned slightly and said "not that I want to turn him back - I can use this information to turn him further into the darkness" he concluded, but it sounded as if he was trying to convince himself.

------
Dylan was slouched on the sofa, whereas I was perched on the edge of the coffee table. We were discussing possible ways to get Luke back when there was a knock at the door. However, before I could open it the door swung open and Calum strode in.

"Abbie?" He yelled and came into view. He stopped in his stride when he saw Dylan; who had turned his appearance back to the 'lost soul' look.

"Abbie! Be careful, he could hurt you. Just move slowly and come and stand behind me" Calum rushed and stood in a defensive stance.

I waved him off dismissively "nah, he's harmless" I said.

Dylan glared at my answer "Hey! Remember what I said - I'll still kill you!" He warned but I rolled my eyes.

"Calum this is Dylan. Dylan this is Calum" I said whilst gesturing between them. Calum glared at Dylan but he simply smiled back.

"I wouldn't look at me like that, Hood. I'm 'helping' little Abbie here" Dylan mocked and gestured towards me. Calum took cautious steps but eventually sat besides me.

"How can we trust you?" Calum said.

"You can't" Dylan said and rolled his eyes "i mean, I am a lost soul - who gave Abbie that idea of finding a lost soul to help in the first place?" he questioned.

"None of us, she thought of that all by herself" Calum said and glared at me.

"Ohh, I sense tension. Who's pissed at who?" Dylan questioned and sat forwards placing his hands in his knees.

----

Calum eventually left; After threatening Dylan in every possible way and scolding me every two minutes.

I let out a sigh in relief and Dylan chuckled.

"He seemed lovely" he commented but I simply rolled my eyes and got up to walk toward the kitchen.

"Wait!" Dylan suddenly whispered and I stopped in place. I spun around to look at him questioningly.

"Luke's near" he whispered and walked closer "go along with what I do okay?" He whisper questioned and stood in front of me.

Confused, I glanced up at him.

Only to gasp when his lips pressed against mine.