Shelly

Shelly listened to Alex ramble on and on nervously, thinking he was so cute in his flustered state. It was not cute, however, when the car wouldn't start and the phone went dead. She stared at him, silent, while he babbled on and on, apology after apology falling from his lips. After he climbed out of the car and moved out of her sight, she shook her head. That boy apologizes way too much, she thought.

"Hold on, Alex. Let me try my phone," she called out to him, searching through her backpack until she finally found it. 

She got out of the car, too, walking around the area until the reception bars moved up to where she could place a call. Dialing 911, she waited as the phone rang twice, then abruptly hung up. This happened twice more, and then the phone just went dead.

"What the hell is going on? My phone was fully charged, so, there is no reason for it to go dead!" Shelly threw the phone in her backpack in frustration. "I feel like we are in the freakin' Twilight Zone!"

She looked toward Alex, who was looking at her, eyebrows raised, and tried to smile. "You say you have some camping supplies? I guess we are going to need them for the night. Any good with building fires, Alex? Oh, and I'm Shelly."