Alex

"Oh, I am an excellent fire starter, Shelly," Alex assured her, giving up his helpless endeavor to discern the problem with the engine, and closing the hood of his car. He stopped, cocking his head to the side. "Um ... okay, that sounded like I am a pyromaniac, which I'm not!"

Alex released a laugh before embarrassment took hold. He ran a hand nervously through his dark, somewhat shaggy hair, and continued sheepishly, "Uhhh ... yeahhh ... Let me get on that. Building the fire, I mean."

He rubbed his hands down the backside of his jeans, looking around uncertainly. Why does this girl have me so torn up? Mortification crept up his spine, sending tingles racing along his skin. Get it together, man!

"Uhhhh ... Right! Gathering wood. The first step would be gathering wood, right? Right. Yes." With that he started to go search, then spun around quickly, "Oh, yeah. Here's the keys to the car." He threw the keys toward Shelly, who caught them deftly. "All the stuff is the trunk. Help yourself."

He nodded, then turned again, scanning the area for firewood. He tried to work quickly, before night completely fell. By 8 PM, there was a huge bonfire blazing, and Shelly and Alex were sitting on two large logs Alex had discovered, talking and laughing about their childhood memories. The night suddenly didn't seem so bad, even with the menacing backdrop of the insane asylum looming against the darkening sky. Alex barely even noticed it anymore, especially when he looked into Shelly's eyes, sparkling with her feisty nature.