Alex

Alex looked up at Shelly, his face expressionless, and replied in a monotone, "I have MREs and canned soup. You know, quick fix stuff for when you're out on the road with only a portable gas stove to cook on, or if you prefer you can eat it cold. Either way, you choose."

Shelly looked at Alex with a puzzled look. He was so cold and distant. A big change from the nervous boy who was so eager to please that he had been earlier in the evening.

She asked, "Are you okay Alex? You don't seem right. Is there anything I can do to help?"

Alex shot a glare her. He insisted angrily, "You want an MRE or soup?"

Shelly being Shelly, she instantly reacted with spunk.

She snapped back, "I don't want anything you have! Just forget it, you jerk!"

Alex was on his feet in a second. He grabbed Shelly by the arm to stop her from stalking away in an angry fit. The last thing he wanted was for her to feel sore at him. There was something about her ... something that made him want to please, and even protect, her.

"Shelly, wait! I'm sorry. I really am," he apologized earnestly. "You're right! I am being a jerk. I'm sorry. I'm not normally like this. Then again, I'm not normally in this kind of situation, either. I know that doesn't give me a reason to behave as I have been. And ..." Alex paused, moving closer to Shelly, "you know, I was afraid to say anything before, but you are really beautiful. And you have a spirit of fire. You make this place not so creepy for me."

He shook his head, looking down at his shoes sheepishly.

"I'm terrible at this. I'm sorry. I ... let me make it up to you."

He released her arm and turned back toward his pile of supplies.

"I'm about to set up the Coleman stove and gas bottle, and make some soup. I also have some crackers, bowls, and spoons. I bet getting warm and eating a little something will help us all to calm down. This is just a shitty situation if there ever was one."

He glanced over his shoulder, and saw by Shelly's facial expression she was still upset.

"Hey, look, I'm truly sorry for how I behaved. That's not who I am. I'm a really good guy. Just give me a chance. Let me make you something to eat, okay? Please?" Alex begged, making a silly puppy dog face at her.