Quincy

Quincy turned his back to the group. He couldn't help but feel a little relieved when Eva took the hint and moved away from him. He also couldn't help the twinge on his conscience at her obviously put out little huff as she spun on her heels. He scowled. Not his problem. He slyly pulled the hand-drawn map he had received from Dr. Lewis's former assistant's son out of his pocket.

Damn it, he thought to himself. The ink had run due to the heavy rain. He could still make out how to get to the doctor's private office, but the drawing of the office itself, as well as the rooms near it, was blurry. He didn't think he needed the drawing that badly. How hard could it be to find forgotten documents in an abandoned building? He'd had to handle much worse in his line of work.

Still, there was something about the night that was making him hesitate to begin his investigation. He really didn't believe in ghosts, but had certainly noticed Shelly's 'shining' moment. He wasn't sure how he felt about her saying she had seen his likeness in an old photograph. Probably just a nutcase seeking attention. At least, that's what he wanted to believe.

He could come back on another night, but that would mean more hotel room and rental car charges, not to mention canceling and re-booking flights. Besides the inconveniences, he kept thinking about the beach, and how badly he wanted to retire, how tired he was of being shot at and hairy situations.

The faster you get this job done, the faster it'll be over, he thought, making up his mind to tackle the task without putting it off. He thought for a moment that he might harness the resources at hand and have one or two of the group help him navigate the rundown asylum; however, asking for help from strangers simply wasn't in his nature.

"Look, guys," he began, turning back toward the disheveled group, "I didn't mean to interrupt your illegal slumber party, but I have serious business here. I am a private investigator, and I am looking for critical evidence, some documentation. Once I find what I need, I'm out."