Alex

Alex's eyes flew open, wide and determined, at the sound of a metallic click. Mark and Shelly were kneeling down on either side of him. Shelly was removing the handcuff from his wrist. 

"Oh, good. You're awake," she said with a gentle smile.

Alex rubbed at his wrist. "You had a key?"

Shelly shook her head. "No. I know how to pick a lock." 

Alex nodded, then climbed to his feet quickly. He looked back and forth between Mark and Shelly, his gaze manic. They stood as well. Shelly touched his arm.

"Is everything alright? Does your head hurt?"

"No," he replied, shaking his head and looking around the room. "What happened? Where are Eva and Quincy?"

"Eva fainted so Quincy took her to a nearby room to lay her down. I was going to check on her after I was sure you were free and doing okay," Shelly said.

Alex looked at his two companions sternly. "We must find them. They mustn't leave this place. Come with me, both of you." 

Alex led the others out into the hall. He decided to start the hunt with the next room down. When he tried to open the door, it wouldn't budge. He yanked on it in frustration. 

"Mark, come give me a hand, will you?"

Together he and Mark were able to force the door open. When they saw the frayed wires hanging from the doorknob, Alex knew they had found the right room. 

"The window!" he cried.

He rushed into the room and noticed that the window had been stripped of most of its iron bars. He ran over and looked out the window. All he saw was an empty courtyard, but he knew where Quincy would be.

"I know where they are," he informed the others. "This way."

They all three made their way to the doctor's office and paused outside the door. Alex knew they would find the missing pair inside because he knew that the papers Quincy was looking for were in there. 

Alex spoke softly, "Shelly, Mark, I need you both to perform a distraction so that I can get Quincy out of the way and then deal with Eva. She is sicker than anyone realizes. You need to go in there and act as if I've escaped. Quincy will naturally want to be a hero."

Shelly and Mark rushed into the office, shouting that Alex had gotten loose and was on a violent rampage, and that he'd be there any minute. At that very moment, Alex picked up a piece of broken tile and tossed it on the other side of the door to give the illusion that he was coming from that direction. Alex heard Quincy say, "Everyone stay here. I'll handle this asshole."

Alex waited until Quincy stuck his head out the door, looking in the direction of the thrown tile. Then he came up behind him quickly and snaked an arm around Quincy's neck. He placed his other hand at the base of Quincy's neck, pressing forward.

Quincy tried to struggle, but Alex had surprise and determination on his side. After a few seconds, the lack of oxygen to his brain caused Quincy to lose consciousness. Alex let him collapse to the filthy floor. He was no longer concerned with Quincy. It was Eva who needed his attention. 

He directed Shelly and Mark to move the still unconscious woman to the OR. They quickly laid her out on the operating table. Alex walked up to the table and stared down at the prone woman.

It really was sad. She couldn't help that she was ... sick. She wouldn't be sick for long. Alex would fix her. He knew exactly what she needed. 

There was a squeaking noise. Alex turned his head to find Shelly pushing a surgical tray his way. He smiled gratefully at her. He nodded as he mentally inventoried the proper tools. 

"Thank you, nurse," he murmured. 

He turned his attention back to the woman lying on his operating table. Her eyes suddenly opened as she regained consciousness. She began to struggle.

Alex looked toward Shelly and Mark, who took their cues and moved toward the table. They quickly and professionally restrained the panicked woman. Shelly deftly used the leather restraints on the table to subdue the patient. Alex leaned over the redhead, smoothing her hair in a gesture that was meant to be soothing but was terrifying instead.  

"It is okay, dear. You shall not struggle for much longer. Soon you will have peace. I will make you all better."