Alex

Alex crossed the threshold into the dark interior of the abandoned building, trying to look brave even if he didn't feel it, not at all. He dumped his burden of supplies on the floor at his feet and proceeded to search again for the stove and/or lantern. He finally found his lantern and flipped the switch. He breathed a sigh of relief as it flickered to life, bathing the ramshackle lobby in a peculiar pale blue glow.

"Man, this place is freakier than I had imagined," Alex said while slowly looking around at the scene of disrepair which years of abandonment had wreaked upon the once grand entrance. Alex continued, musing somewhat to himself, having almost forgotten his lady counterparts in his perusal of his surroundings, "I wonder why they never put this place on a list of historical locations?"

Shelly remarked, entering behind Alex warily, "I don't know. Maybe it was because nobody wanted to make a museum or freak show out of other people's mental suffering. They did have families you know?"

Eva, who was gazing around with wide eyes while rubbing her crossed arms, murmured, "I just hope my fiancé shows back up, then maybe we can get out of here. This place gives me the creeps."

Shelly shot Eva a look of confusion mixed with a bit of disbelief, "I thought you wanted to check this place out? Besides, we have Super Alex here to save us in case anything 'spooky' comes after us."

Shelly snaked her arm inside Alex's bent elbow and smiled up at him. Alex looked down at her arm, then back at Shelly's face, studying the beauty of it for a moment. He wasn't sure if she was messing with him or kind of sincere. He decided it was best not to question it too much.

"Oh, sure. Throw the man out there to get killed first," he snarked playfully, enjoying the warmth of her slight body so near his own.

Everyone broke out into nervous laughter, eager to diminish the feeling of unease brought about by the eerie environment. Their anxious mirth was soon cut short by a glowing figure, which darted across in front of the reception desk from a darkened hallway, across the lobby floor, and then disappeared down the hallway on the other side of the lobby.

"Who the hell was that, or what the hell was that?!" Alex queried in a grave tone, squinting into the enveloping darkness. He held his lamp up higher, attempting to get a better look at who, or what, had passed through the lobby in a nearly unnatural manner.