Shelly

Shelly was shocked when Eva pushed her out of the way, saying, "I don't like this place, y'all. I don't like it! What is going on here?!" As she watched Eva back away from the group, a strange, cool calm fell over her. She slowly approached Eva, with a smile upon her face, and gently placed her hand on Eva's arm.

"Now, Eva, everything will be alright! You just had a bit of a shock." Shelly touched the back of her hand to Eva's forehead. "You do feel a little warm, dear. Let me check your temperature."

Shelly looked over at Alex's backpack, remembering he had a first aid kit in it. Walking over to it now, she reached in, found the kit, and opened it. Looking at the contents, she moved aside some bandages and alcohol pads, and there was a disposable thermometer, the kind you put on a person's forehead. Peeling back the adhesive backing, she walked over to Eva, and tenderly placed it on the agitated woman's forehead. Eva looked startled, but did not resist.

"Now, let me ask you some questions, dear, just to assess your state of mind." Shelly smiled in a manner meant to ease, but Eva was looking more and more freaked out. Shelly lowered her voice so as to be even more soothing. She leaned close to Eva, keeping her gaze level with that of the frightened woman. "Have you heard any voices? Experienced any hallucinations? Have you had any depressive episodes? It is perfectly fine to admit it, my dear," Shelly cajoled in a kind voice, smiling at Eva.

The other woman shook her head slowly, eyes wary. Shelly reached out and placed two fingers on the inside of Eva's wrist. She took Eva's pulse and counted her respirations, while she watched the thermometer change colors on Eva's forehead.  When the thermometer finally indicated it was "ready," Shelly peeled it off, and read it. 

"Well, dear, your temperature reads a little above normal, and your color is slightly reddened. Your pulse is elevated, as well. You should sit down for a bit and rest."

Gently, yet firmly, Shelly put pressure on Eva's shoulders. Eva slid down the wall, her confused gaze never leaving Shelly's face. Appearing satisfied, Shelly made her way over to Mark, who had stopped performing the cleansing ritual, and was standing still and watchful. 

"Now, Mark," Shelly began, leaning close to him in a conspiratorial manner, "we must watch Eva closely. We need to make sure her vital signs are stable. We do not want them to get out of whack, now do we? We also need to monitor her for any signs of mental instability. If anything out of the normal happens, we will have to report it to the doctor ..."