Mark

Mark re-entered the asylum, carrying two duffel bags, one larger than the other. He sat them atop the receptionist's desk, next to Shelly's unfinished soup. He looked around, grinning, oblivious to the fresh tension in the room. He unzipped the bigger bag and pulled out a couple of small flashlights. He flicked the switches, nodding in satisfaction when their bulbs flashed on.

"Well, that's a good thing." He offered the torches to the group. "Hey, anyone need a flashlight while they explore?"

Shelly accepted the offer, taking a flashlight and setting down the Coleman lantern. The flashlight would be easier to carry around. Eva stepped forward and took a torch as well. She nodded a thanks toward Mark. He nodded back before turning his attention to the other contents of his bag. 

"I also have a couple of cameras and EVP recorders. I like to have at least two of everything so I have backups in case of equipment failure. I'd like to keep a camera for myself, but if someone else would like one ...? As I said, I don't have much, so please be careful with whatever you use, and bring it back when you're done."

"I'll take an EVP recorder, Mark," Shelly said. "I'm curious to see if I can catch anything. I have a feeling there's something otherworldly here."

"Yeah? Well, awesome! That's just what I'm hoping!!" Mark's handsome face split into a joyous grin.

"We don't need anything else," Quincy stated gruffly. "Like I said, I'm not here to hunt ghosts. I have a job to do."

Eva looked back and forth between Quincy and the equipment in Mark's bag. It seemed as if she wanted to protest, but she remained silent. Mark shrugged.

"Hey, Mark," Alex called from across the room, moving closer. "Didn't you say you had an EMF detector? Can't that tell you if there's, like, some kind of energy nearby? I've seen that on TV before, I think."

"Oh, yeah, sure," Mark replied, reaching into his bag of goodies. He pulled out a large, black meter and handed it to Alex.

Alex hefted the device and nodded. "Thanks, man. I can use this when I'm not taking pictures. Might be cool to catch something, right? Um ... I mean, as long as it doesn't ... uh ... like, hurt us, obviously."

Shelly snorted. "Obviously."

She smiled at Alex to lessen the sting of her reaction. Alex smiled back at her after a brief hesitation. 

Mark grabbed a flashlight, a small camera equipped with night vision and infra-red, and digital thermometer. He draped the camera around his neck with the strap attached to it and tucked the sleek silver thermometer into his front pocket. He picked up the other digital recorder, one of his favorite devices for catching paranormal activity.

"Alrighty, then, let's do this!"