Scared

Thanks for giving this a chance, it's not the best, to begin with, I'll admit but I love it and I adore what it becomes so please really give it a go and let me know what you think.

(Trigger warning - mentions of abuse)

Chapter One

The bags dig into my shoulders, my shoes rub and I swear if I tripped over one more stick I was going to lose my shit. Just another week then we could have gone home, I could have been with my family. I should have just left, flown home when I had the chance. This was meant to be a nice trip, nothing crazy but no the fucking apocalypse had to come along didn't it!

"Hurry up would you" I carried my feet as fast as I could behind Turner, my lovely husband. He walked with confidence, head held high like nothing could take him down. I carried our bags so that he could protect us and not be held back by anything.

I laid my hand on my small bump with a smile, my little bump was my hero. Keeping me going every day. I didn't know if it was a girl or boy but I didn't care, all I wanted was a healthy baby. One of the reasons we come out here was to visit the best doctor we could afford to get me checked. A full hour and a half talking to a genius, he would have told me everything I needed. It was turners idea to see him the moment I got pregnant, apparently, his parents saw them with all three of there kids including him and they always say what an easy-going pregnancy it was because they felt like they knew everything, I was so excited to have the same thing but we never got to the office. Once again the zombies destroy something else.

"Lily" my eyes met with his and I felt myself deflate under his stare, he had gorgeous greens eyes. They where the first thing I noticed about him when we met years ago" if you could hurry your ass up it would be great, I'm trying to get up some shelter for the night and it's not helping when you are taking so long"

"I'm sorry I think it's being pregnant, really affecting me already-"

"Don't blame my child on your fat ass" he snapped and I just nodded and hurried up behind him feeling the straps of bags rubbing against my shoulders causing a burning feeling but I pushed past it. It was my choice to hold the bags, I need him to keep us safe and if that meant raw shoulders then I'd deal with it.

There was a crispness in the air as the sun got lower. It was nice after the long hot day of walking.

"Lily stop" I stopped walking staring at him confused "something is close, I can hear it" we both went silent, my heart beating like crazy. I wrapped my arms around my lower self as if holding my bump closer. My hands began to shake at the thought of it being the dead but they weren't normally this sneaky. My head was hammering as turner looked around through the dim wood.

"Turner" I whispered when I lost sight of him "Turner?" I walked forward feeling my knees going weak under me as I pulled my knife holding it ready. Suddenly I heard what sounded like a fight going on "Turner!" I called out panicked rushing towards the sounds when I arrived Turner was on the floor scuffed up and there was a man - a messy redneck -  pointing a crossbow to him. I instantly run up in front of him, my knife trembling so hard in my hand I could barely hold it

"P-please, don't - don't kill him" I dropped the bags pushing them forward placing the knife on top "you can take this, but we need him. I and m-my baby need him" one hand was on the stomach while the other was beside me. My eyes were wide not knowing what to do. The man in front of me looked stone cold. He stared at us long and hard

"I'm just trying to look after my wife and unborn child sir" I felt Turner stand behind me "do you have a group? We can pull our weight" slowly he lowered his crossbow and I managed to calm down a bit "my names Turner and this is my wife. We have been looking for some shelter of some kind, people would be amazing. Every day it's getting harder to look after them on my own"