Church

Chapter twenty-six

The group had left the cabin so we walked slowly together as Daryl tracked the way to wherever they had been. I had run pretty far so the evening was drawing in now. Just as Daryl was starting to lose sight of the tracks we come across a church, Sasha sat outside.

"Daryl" I spoke softly pulling him to a stop just before the opening. He turned towards me, He was super close but didnt move back so neither did I. I lost all my words as I looked up to him, even in the dim evening light his eyes were just so bright. My breathing picked up a little "Thank you" He gave me a small half-smile and turned away again, As we broke through the tree line he gave my hand a gentle squeeze then let it go. My hand was cold and I felt lonely without his touch. I was so used to having someone holding onto me It felt nice to have it again.

Sasha held her gun up to us but dropped it when she saw it was us. She nodded at us and went back to her post. We walked in and everything felt odd... everyone was so happy talking eating and drinking.

"Missed you too" I called out and Daryl smirked at me as everyone else looked over "Why the fuck are we in a stupid church?"

"This is the Lord's house" I looked to the priest and frowned

"Who the fuck are you?" I asked looking him up and down

"The Lord forgives the bad language at this bad time-"

"I don't give a crap, I just want to know how we got here" I looked to Carl and he comes rushing over to me and gave me a hug

"I heard him calling for help-"

"And though you'd help?" He stepped back fiddling with his hands "you could have been killed, you know for a fact there's bad people out here. You don't just go running next time"

"Sorry" He mumbled looking down at the ground, one thing I knew about Carl is he hated disappointing me, it was one of the sweetest things "But we have food and drink"

"It worked out this time, I suppose" I flicked the hat off his head and smiled at him as he picked it up "how's Judy?"

"She's good, it's okay if you don't want to-"

"I'm okay, Daryl kicked my butt into gear" Carl smiled at Daryl then me "go eat kiddo" with that he walked away and I looked around the still quiet room "we're good, talk away" as everyone began talking again I saw the alcohol and looked to Daryl "wanna drink? I can't breastfeed as my milk dried up from not doing it, so I can drink again" I over explained as I walked over grabbing a can of beans and bottle of rosé "lovely" Daryl picked up a bottle of whiskey and I rolled my eyes grabbing another can of beans and two forks. I followed him. When he sat down I passed him the beans and a fork "don't drink on an empty stomach"

With that, I walked to the back of the room sitting on the very back row. I ate the tin of beans then unscrewed the wine.

"Bottoms up" I watched as everyone laughed and chatted with each other. I watched as they joked and shoved each other. I watched as Carol laid her head on Daryl's shoulder, as Carl cuddled his baby sister. I watched as they stuffed there faces and spoke about anything and everything. I watched it until I finished the bottle and found a bottle of whisky. I stopped watching as I swigged the bottle. I couldn't watch them laugh, cuddle, eat and talk like nothing happened. Like the world was normal and my son wasn't dead. I couldn't watch them be so normal while I was dying on the inside.

"Ya good" I looked to the side and saw Daryl who was smirked at me as I tilted my head with a lazy smile. He took my bottle drinking some

"Heeeeey that's mine" I made a weak attempt at getting back as he put it down where I couldn't reach "I wasn't done"