Chapter 26

7 days later :

Xavier's POV :

We were back in Geneva,we had airlifted both Marcus and Kasandra.
I consider myself fortunate enough to have both of them safe and sound.

Mercello with his contacts,made us available a full time nurse in Mercello's house,to take care of both of them.
I sat beside Marcus,and Kasandra was in the room beside.

Marcus was in his bed and started,"I no longer have any grudges about Mercello.All the while,I blamed Mercello for the coercing and compelling,which he did for our own benefit without any personal gains."

He came in Marcus's room,
"Hello Sir,"I greeted him.
"Hi,son,"he replied.

"I thought its high time,we discuss about a thing I've held for years, I'm sorry !"he addressed Marcus and me.

"Marcus and Xavier,I was a poor fellow, lingering around struggle with no success peeping in,I had lost all hope as a mediocre man, helpless and utterly ordinary.Louis was my friend since teenage,and helped me with my financial crunches, and also helped me get into the National Forces."

He continued,"Edmond very well took advantage of my  association with Louis,since he knew how powerful a man he was,with an influential family background. I came across Edmond,and various other mafia leaders.They started filling my bank accounts too fast, showing me,my dreams of living a rich livelihood turning into ground reality ,in exchange of protecting him and others from the National forces. I thought it was better for my growing family,and with such deal I would be free from the burden of Louis,who helped me as my most reliable friend,I owed him a lot of money already,for the favours he had done to me."

"Following this path,all my problems vanished and I was able to supply my family with all their needs.I grew stronger,with each deal,but then Louis,he got to know about my wrong doings.We both were trying to convince eachother our point before finally I had a suspension from my post,and was being tried for in the court.
Edmond blackmailed me,he shot my wife,Ileana.She was in comma for around two years.
Meanwhile,now I unsolved the puzzle of who killed my confidant, Louis.
I was so shaken then,and even now,I cannot believe my son could do something as horrendous and dreadful as this."

He inhaled deeper,took a long pause,I saw he was almost about to have a teary eye.

"I am sorry children.I blame myself for all the lives, I've put in trouble.I had observed you both since the times you served under Louis's team.
I wanted to send you away,after Louis's sudden demise.So,I faked a mission and sent you to Paris,after acquiring Louis's post.I knew Edmond had the details of you both,and he wanted me to finish you all so that he would not be in trouble,he suspected that Louis's team could prove a danger to his mafia racket.So,I made you sign those contracts."

"I only intended to protect you,I had already lost my friend to Edmond."

.
.
.

"Please forgive me and my son."

He continued.

Not your son.My mind declared.

"Where is my son?"he asked.

No one except I know where he is.He has been detained in the dark room of my house,or instead of dark, I'll call it the most happening room in my house.I've sedated him since the day he was my captive.
I wanted to get out all the information about his criminal activities and all illegal activities in which he was passively involved.

"Where is Joseph,Xavier?"

"Don't worry about him.I will not kill him.He is with me.He needs to be interrogated,if Edmond is to be punished for his lethal acts,"I answered him.

He was about to leave the room, turning his back to us,when I stopped him,"Sir,we need time to sync all the happenings of past and present,"Marcus added.

"I'm sure that I can give you both,"he gave us an assuring look,and closed the room door.

"Marcus,get well soon.Royce and Edmond await their death,at your hands,"I told him as though it was some grand opening event or some inauguration at his hands.

He laughed away,since he knew exactly what we were thinking of.

"You should be with Kasandra."

"I know,but Mia,Ivanka and Ileana are there beside her."
Ileana was so disturbed when she got to know the entire story,she felt bad as a mother,to have raised a monster.

I still didn't tell anyone about me and Kasandra.
It was not the right time.I wanted us to announce it together,but she was still unconscious, because of the head injury.

I really hoped she'd recover quick.The days passed dull and as though darkness engulfed me.

Mia came in shouting and dancing and crying,"Kasandra, she's started responding, she's opened her eyes."

What,did God just listen to my prayers?

"You need to run,Xav!Run for her,run to her,"my reflexes had gone for a toss.