15: Exchanging Vows

The main city's biggest gossip at the moment was the Emperor's edict to grant Xu Jun the title of 'Xia, Duke of the Second Rank.' The Xia title was inspired by the heroic young general who had sacrificed himself for the country's happiness.

Though Jufen was expecting it, the citizens were bewildered. Wasn't the Emperor afraid that the Xu family's power would grow too strong? However, the Emperor did not express his opinion on the matter.

Since Xu Jun was now a Duke, Jufen was promoted from Official Wife to Xia Wangfei. When Gu Meiyue received the news, she threw many of the rarest artifacts onto the floor: gems, plates, and vases. Mu Xin and the maids watched in horror and nearly cried at the loss of the priceless artifacts.

In a frenetic voice, she screeched, "Chen Ju Fen! You steal everything from me! You fucking cunt! I want you to fucking die!"

Gu Meiyue had tried many tactics to bring Jufen down; all was done behind her back. When she's finally at the bottom of the well, Meiyue would act as the caring sister and Jufen would be eternally grateful to her. Making Jufen her puppet was the ultimate goal.

However, before her plan even finished, Jufen had managed to clear up her reputation as an Honorable Lady who is talented in the arts of zither, a stunning beauty, and an ideal wife to marry. Not only that, she seemed to distance herself from Meiyue after meeting that slut, Zhao Bai Lan.

Throwing was not enough. She needed more.

She turned to the row of servant girls and dragged one of them by the hair before harshly throwing her onto the floor. The maid hysterically screamed for mercy when Meiyue violently began to beat the poor girl like a mad woman. The remaining maids looked away in fear and tried to conceal themselves from her line of sight.

Later on that evening, the guards had dragged out a cold body and cleaned the room.

—:—

Two weeks before the big day, betrothal gifts had been sent by the Xu Family. The long line of red boxes and chests filled the entire festive hall and into the streets. It was an accumulation; everyday for a week, they would send in a batch of gifts.

Her dowry was not short from her father and brother either. Though Mingxi was reluctant to let his baby sister go so early, he still wished her happiness and presented her many gifts. Chen Qui had to play both the mother and father role but luckily, Mingxi shared the burden.

During the past few months, Jufen had embroidered her own outer layer wedding dress. It was a tradition that showed one's skills and abilities.

Her neck was sore and her back ached from hunching over. Jufen did not feel the same excitement as she did the first time she embroidered her wedding dress when she married Ye Feng. What was so godly fun about sewing until your eyes started to bleed?

Regardless of her complaints, she still managed to finish it in time. It was a simple design and Jufen liked it that way. Less glamorous and less work for her; it was a win-win situation.

Madam Weiyun had sent in a phoenix gold crown and matching jewelries because she feared that there was no female figure besides her that would dote on her before sending her away.

Jufen's eyes curved into a smile and her lips hooked up. This aunty of hers is truly a blessing. Perhaps, this was what having a mother felt like.

Zhao Bai Lan frequently came over to keep her company. She had also volunteered to do her makeup on the wedding day. Seeing how excited the girl was, she did not have the heart to say no.

"Big brother, you came?" Jufen stood up to walk to her brother in an ivory robe. His hair loosely touched his shoulders before falling back.

"En. Greetings Lady Zhao, I hope that you enjoy your stay here," he gently acknowledged her.