Chapter 1 - Face first

I could feel the warm breeze blow against my face as I lay on something soft and flat.

I slowly opened my eyes only to be blinded by a bright, yellow light. I shut my eyes again and lay still for a moment.

My body hurt from the fight I had the previous night.

A big ugly demon had sneaked up on me and attacked me from behind. Needless to say I had lost the fight and somehow blacked out.

Apart from the fight, I could remember nothing else.

Where was I? Why did that demon attack me? What was I even doing lying here, acting like a weakling?

With great effort, and energy, I forced myself to get up.

Looking around, I was stood in a meadow full of red and white flowers. Butterflies fluttered about as I fanned them away with my hand.

Blood stained the left side of my torso, leaving a scarlet patch above the torn grey fabric.

Lucky demons like myself could heal fast. Faster than those pesky humans anyway.

I sighed with relief as I spotted my precious Sai swords laying a few metres from where I stood.

My father had given me this particular set of weapons on my eighth birthday. He told me they were very special and that they would protect me throughout my life.

Thinking about him now brought tears to my eyes.

It has been almost six years now. Six years of loneliness and hell.

"Papa..." I said in barely a whisper.

I shook my head with frustration.

I should be a brave demon like my father was! I should just move on in life.

Ignoring the sore pain that still burned on my side, I sheathed my twin swords and headed towards the path near the meadow.

If I had to find a safe place to rest, it would be the forest.

Step by staggering step, I neared the path.

The sun was really warm today. I couldn't stand the sun this warm. It hurt my eyes and gave me a headache.

The hood of my grey jacket shielded my eyes from most of the light. The jacket felt heavy today.

I knew I should have gotten a thinner jacket. It only came useful in the winter when I was freezing on my travels. The only reason why I didn't get rid of it was because it was once my mother's.

I dared take a look at the area before me. Great! I was nearly there; just a few more metres and I would be safe...for now.

Just a little more... I thought to myself.

I was now crossing the path.

I was getting closer...

I was very close now...

Yes! I was now getting...hit?

A heavy, metal object hit my back and shoved me forward.

"Ack!" I grunted as my face hit the hard mud floor of the path.

"Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry! Are you okay?" A girl's voice asked worriedly.

Some mud had went in my mouth and I spat it out bitterly.

"Watch where you're going next time!" I shouted at the girl and got to my feet.

Pain stabbed at my back and I now had a sharp cut across my cheek. Great!

"I'm sorry!" She apologised again.

I looked over the other girl's shoulder and noticed that she had companions. They were all staring at me with odd expressions on their faces.

I sniffed demon among the group and stiffened. It was far too dangerous to be out here in the open.

"Are you okay? I can heal that cut if you want?" The girl that had bumped into me asked again and pointed at my cheek.

The girl had long black hair and was wearing very odd looking clothing. She must be a witch, or some sort of demon disguised as an innocent travelling human.

"I don't need your help or sympathy, thank you very much!" I huffed and flounced off in the direction of the forest.

Humans were always clumsy and foolish! I disliked the vile beings. They were so irritating and at the same time, dangerous. Humans judged us demons and other creatures far too quickly. Some demons weren't as evil and treacherous as the humans.