Chapter 14 - Oh joy!

"Are you sure they came this way?" I asked Ginta as we tread through thick, wet mud.

"Yep. I'm almost certain!"

"Almost?" I was starting to regret this trip, and having Ginta 'almost' know where the snake creatures had gone, it made me uneasy to the stomach.

The mud here was hard to walk through. If only I could jump from tree to tree, that would make it much easier, but Ginta insisted we went this way.

I stepped on something sharp in the mud and I jumped away, feeling more startled than pained.

My foot was bleeding and a small throwing knife was still stuck to the wounded part of flesh.

I held my breath as I took it out. It stung badly.

Ginta, oblivious to my injury, walked on. I ignored the pain and ran, slowly, after him.

"Hey look!," he pointed in the direction of bushes and trees. "Over there! Do you see them?"

I nodded my head and began to climb up the hill.

Indeed the snake-like creatures were there, and with them was a young woman. Her black hair was tied up, and she had a bow and a set of arrows straped on her back.

She looked pale. The aura around her was different.

"She must be dead..." I thought aloud.

Ginta agreed with me and quietly sniffed the air.

"She smells of earth and rotting flesh." He whispered in my ear.

I made a disgusted face and turned my attension back to the woman.

The snake-like creatures hovered around her as they threw the glowing balls at her. Her body absorbed them.

Soul collectors! Those glowing balls must be souls. I thought to myself.

The woman must have died and then somehow resurected. The aura around her seemed to get more powerful everytime she received a soul.

"She's a priestess." Ginta stated.

He looked over at me with a scared look.

"Let's get out of here while we still can," he grabed hold of my wrist. "Please?"

"He's coming!" The woman said to herself.

I heard a slight tapping of feet, then a whoosh.

"Inuyasha," The woman regarded him with a small, yet dangerous smile. "How kind of you to come and visit me."

Inuyasha?! I thought with dismay.

By the look on Ginta's face he didn't seem to have expected it either.

"What's he doing here?" I whispered in Ginta's ear.

"I don't know..." he whispered back.

"Kikyo." Inuyasha said quietly.

"Tell me, why did you come?" The woman, Kikyo, asked.

"I came to see you. I wanted to talk to you."

"And what did you want to talk about, Inuyasha?"

Kikyo kept on saying his name as if it were a flower; pretty, but delicate to break.

"It's Naraku. We're getting close now, and once I defeat him, everything will go back to normal."

"Is that so?" She seemed to doubt Inuyasha's strengh. I don't think I like her much.

"What will you do after all of this?"

"That is none of your concern," Kikyo neared Inuyasha and whispered something in his ear.

"What's that suppose to mean?" he asked with a confused look.

Kikyo just smiled. "You will get to know soon enough,"

I was about to tell Ginta that we should leave when Kikyo kissed Inuyasha.

I opened my eyes wide.

Did she truly love him? Or was this something from the past? Why was she kissing Inuyasha? Wasn't Kagome his woman?

I glanced at Ginta. He was red faced and staring at the two with as much shock on his face as I had on mine.

"Inuyasha, remember that kiss, because that would be your last." With that Kikyo began to walk away, he soul collectors followed her.

Inuyasha stared at her as she left then began to run back the way he came.

Phew, lucky that he was concerntrating on her and not our scent! Who the heck was she anyway? I wanna know!

"Hey, Ginta?..." He still looked red in the face when he looked at me.

"Home?" He asked quickly.

"Home!" I agreed. "Get on my back, it'l be faster that way."

"Hey, your bleeding!" He pointed at my wounded foot.

"It's ok. It doesn't hurt." I lied and cleared my throat impationately.

"Oh, right!" He said.

Once he was on my back I jumped up to the nearest tree branch and made my way home.

By the time we had reached the wolf terrotory Ginta had fallen asleep on my back. I didn't want to wake him up, so I put him back to bed and wrapped him up in his wolf fur blanket.

He looked younger like this, and more relaxed. His face was calm, as if he was having a happy dream.

If only I was you right now, you lucky little wolf. I thought with a sight.

"Myou...don't...leave..." Ginta sighed as he dreampt.

Aw man! If he's dreaming any bad things I will-

"Meh! Kill that demon!" He muttered.

...nevermind! I thought as I wrapped myself in my own wolf fur blanket.

I was once again drifting off into a dream. One that wasn't very pleasant and happy.