Chapter 4 - Koga and the bakka

Kaede was not at all what I expected her to be like.

She was an old lady with grey hair put up into a tight bun. She spoke with a weird accent that, at times, I couldn't understand what she was saying.

Kaede had dried my bloody wrist and tightly bandaged it together.

She had specifically told me not to go off fighting until it was fully healed, but I took no notice. Fighting came as a first instinct to me.

"Hey, Myou?" Kagome had stopped me outside and was looking at me intently.

"What is it, human?" I asked with curiosity.

Something flashed in her eyes, but when she smiled I ignored the thought.

Must be seeing things! I thought.

"Do you have any place to go?" She looked at me with so much eagerness, I suspected she wanted to know more than just where I hung out.

"Yes." I said simply.

Turning my back at her, I walked down the path of which was near a lake that stretched out far.

Villagers, who had once been busy plucking freshly grown vegetables out of the ground, were now staring at me in wonder.

This village was smaller than the one I had been in previously.

Having a new face show up out of the blue like this must have piqued the villager's curiosity and weariness.

I couldn't blame them. I had once been like that.

I was once content in my village. No humans came to bother us. No greater demons came to eat us or boast about their powers.

With a sigh, I fixed my gaze on the floor, ignoring the eyes that were staring at me heavily.

I supposed that I would have to be more careful now that a demon had found me as easily as that. Or, to clarify, I had fount it.

After the demon attack I had felt different. Not physically, but mentally. Like something had snapped inside me.

My father had once told me, "Myou, sometime in your life you find someone close to you gone. You feel angry and vengeful. Try to calm that part of you. Focus on more positive things in life and try to find friends."

That was the very day my father had...died.

Whenever I thought back to that it only came back as a foggy memory. It was like a dream, something I couldn't quite believe. The shock and daze was still there even after all this time.

I shook my head and skulked near a tree, my favourite place to spend my time.

Hey, Myou? Do you have a place to go? Kagome's voice echoed in my head.

I had hesitated that was true, but it wasn't like I was going to say no. I didn't need someone's pity.

The truth was, I did have somewhere to go, I just didn't want to go there. I didn't want to live a life hiding in a dark tunnel, too afraid to even take a step outside.

Sure, the outside world wasn't safe, but I guess that's what life was.

I wanted to live my life freely.

I had promised father I'd get along with humans, even after what they had done in the past. I had promised I'd live happily and have friends.

But that was all a lie wasn't it? I asked myself feeling a twinge of guilt.

I looked up at the light blue sky.

I missed being able to fly. I never was a good flyer, but my father had always been there to help me.