CHAPTER TWO

Zainab

I looked out the window and let the cool breeze graze my skin softly, sighing as I recalled my dad and I's conversation again. Making wonder what my future will be like, if I would ever get to fulfill my dreams of being a doctor. If I would ever like the man I'll be married off to or loving him.

I shook my head to get rid of the horrible thoughts accumulating in my brain as the car came to a stop in our garage. I sighed for the upmteenth time and got out of the car and headed into our home, my siblings trailing behind me.

"Assalamu alaikum." We all chorused together.

"Wa'alaikumussalam my beautiful children." Said mom, smiling.

Chu chu ran and hugged her,  Usman and Fannah sprawled on the rug, I sat on the couch next to her.

"How was school today?" Mom asked.

"It was exhausting wallah." Usman said, yawning.

We all chuckled.

"Alright, you should all head to your rooms, have a shower and change. You can come and have your lunch afterwards" Said mom.

"Okay."

**

I had a long and hot shower before exiting the bathroom. I don't normally take a long time to shower, but, today is different. From worrying about the bomb that dad dropped on me last night, to worrying about the upcoming exam that I had. It was just a lot.

I brushed the thought away and got ready. I wore a loose atampa gown and tied my turban. Looking at myself in the full length mirror, I saw that i have bags under my eyes, I sighed and applied concelar. I was applying khol to my eyes when I heard a knock on the door.

"Come in."

It was Fannah. "Sis, how are you doing? I heard what happened yesterday from mom, I'm really sorry sis. I know how much you've always wanted to further your education and get your dream job, it's really hurtful seeing it crumble all before you. I just pray that Allah will provide you with a pious man that would allow you to further your education, Aameen." Fannah finished off, hugging me.

"Ameen ya rabbi dear, Jazakilllah khair." I said, breaking the hug, smiling.

"Let's go and have lunch, I'm so hungry." She said, scrunching up her nose.

I chuckled. "Alright, go, I'll be with you shortly."

"Okay." She said, closing the door softly behind her.

I dropped the khol, picked my phone and left the room. After lunch, dad summoned me. I didn't even know he was around, that's why I didn't go and greet him. But, i heard from Fannah that they had greeted him already.

"Assalamu alaikum." I said, getting into the living room.

"Wa'alaikumussalam." He said, dropping the newspaper he was reading.

Before I could greet him, he started off, angrily. "So just because I said I am marrying you off, that's why you refused come and greet me right? You are angry with me, huh! So, I don't have the right to choose a spouse for you?"

"Wallah dad that wasn't the reason why I didn't greet you, I didn't know you were around." I said, trying to hold back the tears that's threatening to fall.

"How will you know when you are busy worrying yourself about this matter. Just don't worry yourself too much dear, everything will be alright. The man you are getting married to is non other than the son of my friend Alhaji Bukar, Abdulmalik. You've seen him before right? He often comes here with his dad."

"Yes dad." I said, in my now shaky voice.

"He is a good man, he will take good care of you. And about your education, i'm sure he'll allow you to continue. I'll talk to him about it. But don't have too much expectations though, because not every man would want his wife to roam about the university anyhow or always leave her matrimonial home."

"Okay." Was all I could say.

What should I say? Everything was done without asking for my opinion and about school, all my hopes have been lost. If he'll allow me to continue my education, falillahil hamd, if he won't, I don't have any choice.

Besides, we were told to obey our husbands because they are the keys to us getting into jannah, right? Then who am I to complain or try to object his decisions?

"Zainab!"

"Huh, yes." 

"What are you thinking about?" He asked.

"Nothing dad." I lied.

He sighed. "It's alright, he's coming to see you by the weekend. I've also given him your number." He said, smiling.

"Okay dad."

"Good girl, May Allah bless you. I'm not doing all this to hurt you my daughter, it's for your own good my dear. You may go, May Allah bless you."

"Amin." I said, forcing a smile.

I left for my room and prayed Asr. Later in the evening, mom called me and also talked to me about it, again. She consoled me and asked me to pray for the best and not to worry myself. Which was easier said than done.

I left for my room and kept thinking about the marriage, I had wanted to object when dad dropped the bomb on me. But I couldn't.

He looked so happy and I didn't want to ruin that. What scares me is that most of the men nowadays don't allow their wives to further their education.

They think she'd get spoilt or her behavior would change, while some worry about the times that they wouldn't be at home with their wives.

The man in question didn't seem like that kind of person, but then again, looks can be deceiving. All that I pray for is that he should consider my love for school and allow me to further my studies.

All I had ever wanted in my life is to be a doctor, I just pray that my dream wouldn't be shattered. I wiped a lone tear and left for the living room.

Done praying isha, we ate dinner. Aterwards, Fannah helped chu chu with his assignments, we all retired to bed. I couldn't read that day because of the terrible of headache I had.