CHAPTER TEN

Zainab

I yawned and got out bed to perform Fajr prayer, I stayed longer than usual to thank Allah for another yet wonderful year of my life. After I was done, I folded the prayer mat and lay on the bed to reflect on my life.

It has been a wonderful year, apart from the bomb my dad dropped on me three months ago, which I now fully accept and being hopeful for. Alhamdulillah.

Birthdays aren't really my thing, I don't celebrate it. But, I decided to make an exception today and just bake myself a cake. I deserve it after what I went through these past few months.

I headed to Fannah's room, woke her up to help me prepare the cake. We got to the kitchen and got to work.

**

We poured the barter into the pan and popped it into the oven and started working on the frosting.

Doing this now, I am getting kind of excited, I mean you only turn twenty, once right? I'm just sad because Abdulmalik wouldn't be here to celebrate this special day with me.

It's been two months since he moved back to Kaduna, though we always talk on the phone I still want to see him. He said he will take a casual leave and come see me first before going to Maiduguri.

He's going to spend his eid there, his dad is sick again, he's so worried. So is my dad.

The sound of the oven beeping brought me out my thoughts, I brought out the cake and placed it on a cooling rack. I put my frosting in the fridge as I wait for the cake to cool down so that I can put them together.

Fannah and I then prepared breakfast for everyone.

***

I've collected my WAEC and NECO result a month ago and Alhamdulillah, I passed. Abdulmalik's family are coming for the date fixing and payment of the bride price by september, which is next month.

I'm really scared, I can't believe it's finally happening. I pray everything goes well Alhamdulillah.

****

"Why didn't you call me sooner, I am angry with you." I said, pouting.

"I am so sorry dear, I just got done with work wallah. Please forgive your lovely hubby, hmmm?"

I smiled. "Okay fine, apology accepted."

"Great, so how was your day, what did you do today?"

"Well, I baked a beautiful cake for myself. Spent a wonderful evening with my family and best friend at the park and received lots of prayers and praise from my parents. Alhamdulillah."

"Masha Allah. I wish you a happy belated birthday. May you live to witness many more, may Allah bless you."

"Ameen ya rabb. Thank you." I said, blushing.

"I can't wait for you to be mine, May we witness that day in good health. Alhamdulillah,"

"Ameen ya rabb." I said, smiling.

"I know you've heard that Dad insisted we fix the date by October. He said we've known each other enough to move on to the next step," he chuckled. "I agree with him because i'm tired of being called a bachelor. Ahmad calls me that all the time, but you have to be patient. You might not like this state."

"Ahmad is so funny wallah and yeah, marriage is all about patience, so no problem. Besides, I've been to Kaduna a few times. It's actually not that bad. I'm just going to be homesick, but, Alhamdulillah it will be just a three to four hours ride. May HE choose what's best for us, Aameen." I assured him.

"Aameen my dear wife, we'll talk later. Let me get something to eat, I am so hungry."

"Alright then, I'll talk to you later, bye."

"Bye wifey."

***

I picked up my phone after praying Asr to call my best friend. I know deep down that my feelings for Abdulmalik have changed to something more but I've been putting it away.

I didn't want to accept it.

But, I don't think I can keep putting it off anymore.

Habiba speaking on the line brought me out of my thoughts.

"Hey Habiba. Um, so I will just get straight to the point. I think I'm i..i..n..."

"Girl, are you okay? Calm down and talk okay? Breathe, can you do that for me?"

I sighed. "Okay! I'm fine now, I think. So, I think i'm in love with Abdulmalik."

Habiba screamed and squealed loudly, I had to take the phone away from my ear.

God! I have a crazy friend!

"When? How? Where? Why didn't you tell me earlier? Does he know? Are you...."

"Okay Habiba enough, can you just calm down? I think I fell for him after he left." I sighed for nth time.

"That's good news, congratulations best friend. But he should know, because I think he still feels guilty. He still thinks you are being forced into getting married to him."

"Yeah I know, I'll try to let him know."

"Yeah you should. I'm so proud of you."

I smiled and hung up. I have the best, best friend in the world.

***

After having dinner, we all retired to bed at 10pm.

I saw my phone ringing when I got to the room, I didn't have to check to know who it was. It's him.

"Assalamu alaikum." I said, smiling.

"Wa'alaikumussalam sweet voice, do you want to kill me? I almost flew to Abuja, you looked so gorgeous dear. Masha Allah."

He was talking about the birthday pictures that I took earlier and sent to him.

I laughed. "I'm so flattered, thank you. How's work?"

"It was fine Alhamdulillah, I missed you so much."

"Same here. Let me allow you to sleep, I know you'll be going to work by 7 tomorrow. Good night."

He chuckled. "Alright dear, good night. I love you."

"I love you too."

I hung up immediately after saying that. I sighed and lay on my bed, that was so nerve racking.