CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

Zainab

I felt so relieved after talking to Abdulmalik, like a weight has been lifted off my chest. I have been pretending I was hurt just to piss him off and make him attend the events. Instead of it to have an effect on him, it didn't, he became more calm and reserved. That is the reason why I love this man so much.

So, immediately I got his call after fajr, I picked and apologized for not understanding and also briefed him on the happenings of the event. I thought he will be mad at me but instead, he expressed his happiness, I mean he really did.

Now I know why and how I fell in love with him in the span of some months.

I heard noises and it seemed like whoever it was is heading towards my room, I'm sure it is Aunt Yagana.

"Zainab aren't you up already, don't you know that the henna designer will soon be here and people will start arriving shortly. Come on get out of that bed." She yelled.

God! It's just 6am. Why didn't mum come, I am getting tired of this woman.

My thoughts were cut short when I felt a sting on my laps. Did she just smack me? I got off the bed in a swift motion and ran towards the bathroom. I heard her say stubborn girl before she exited the room.

I quickly had a shower and came out. Since the nnalle had already been done the day before yesterday, the mehndi design will be done for me today, alot of people will attend too. Sometimes, I just wonder the kind of tradition we have.

I rubbed my lotion and waited for Fannah to bring my clothes and just in cue, I heard a soft knock on the door. That is odd. Fannah doesn't knock that way, then who could it be. After much deliberation, I granted the permission.

And there she was, clad in her beautiful red and black stones lapaya, my mother, the most beautiful woman in the whole world. I haven't seen much of her ever since we came to Maiduguri, she has been avoiding me and I wonder why. I didn't know the time she moved into the room, I just felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned around and looked at her, her eyes sparkling with love for her daughter.

"You need to stop thinking like that Zainab, it is not good for your health. I have been talking to you but you didn't even hear me because you've zoned out." She said, looking at my face worriedly.

I smiled.

"Mom it's just that I'm surprised to see you in my room. I mean, ever since we got here, I haven't seen much of you, were you avoiding me mom?" I asked, pouting.

"I am going to miss you." She said.

And that sentence brought tears to my eyes, I hugged her and cried harder, wetting her lapaya.

"There there, it's ok, do you want me to cry too, hmm?"

"No." I said, shaking my head in a disapproving manner.

"Then stop okay?, I will answer your question tomorrow night."

"Okay mom"

"Now here is the outfit, wear it and come out before Aunt Yagana will come and get you." She said, laughing.

I laughed too and nodded my head, afraid that if I speak, I might cry again. She left the room to give me space to change. It was then I noticed the clothes, a beautifully sewn white gown lace and a red veil and bead necklace. I wore it and and applied the super scenty perfume collection thet Aunt Yagana had bought for me from cameroun. 'It is the best, so use it well and don't finish it in a day' she had said.

How can I finish dozens of perfumes in a day, this woman is something else. Ten minutes later, dazieta came in and did her magic on my face. I just wonder how many makeup artists did mom hire.