CHAPTER ELEVEN

Abdulmalik

I groggily got out of bed and sluggishly walked to the bathroom to get ready for work, I had spent a month here already, I am yet to get used to it. I smiled when I remembered it will be less awful since I'd be married to an amazing woman in five months.

My uncles had arrived in Abuja for the date fixture a week ago, it had been set for March 4th. My dad wanted it to be done earlier, he was afraid he wouldn't make it to my wedding.

It breaks heart when he talks like that. I really wish there was something I could do about his health, he was taking every single precaution set for him seriously. Yet, his health is still deteriorating. "My time is up, taking these drugs might manage my health for some time but it's already too late. Alhamdulillah, I had lived a wonderful life with my amazing wife and children. I am ready," he had said, with a smile plastered on his face.

We had all broken down in tears.

***

I drove into my work place and put my car in park. I sighed as the severity of the situation hit me again, making lay back on my car seat instead of stepping out.

A knock on my window brought me out my thoughts, it was Ahmad. I just realized that I have been sitting in my car for some time now. I got out of the car and locked it.

"Are you okay man, I saw you park your car for almost five minutes staring into nothing." He asked, concerned.

"I'm fine Alhamdulillah, I'm just a little stressed about my dad's health."

"In shaa Allah he will be okay, don't worry too much about it or it will affect your health too."

I know he was trying to be nice but telling me not to worry isn't an option. No one will understand what I'm going through until they are in my shoes.

I nodded my head and walked into the building together. It is going to be a long day.

***
After a long day at work, Ahmad and I headed out to have lunch. He usually invites me to eat at his house but his wife traveled. I really cannot wait to be married, paying lots of money for a food that tastes bland is annoying.

We ordered our food and sat at a table. I thought about my travel plans for tomorrow while I was eating. I applied for a three weeks casual leave a month ago and I was finally granted it.

I specifically applied for it a month ago so that by the time it will be approved it will close to Eid. I'm happy my plan worked, I will get to spend Eid with my family and be by my dad's side.

We got done with lunch left for our houses.

***

Immediately I got home, I took a shower, prayed and settled down to call my dad.

"Good evening dad, how's your health today?"

"Evening son, fine Alhamdulillah, how's work?"

"Work is fine Alhamdulillah, I'll be leaving for Abuja tomorrow to see Zainab and greet uncle. I will sleepover at our house before leaving for maiduguri the day after."

"Alright son, my regards to him and his family. I wish you a safe journey dear."

"Thank you dad, may Allah grant you shifa."

"Ameen ya rabb, see you soon."

I hung up and raised my hands crying and at the same time praying to my rabb to grant my father a quick recovery.

***

I couldn't call Zainab yesterday to inform her of my visit because I got another yet heart shattering call. Ibrahim called after my phone call with my dad, I was still crying then. He also broke down immediately he heard my voice.

"Dad isn't getting better right." I had said.

"Yes bro, i'm afraid," he said sniffling. "Apparently his cells are too resistant to the insulin. They even increased his dose but nothing is working because it had already started to affect his heart. At this point, we just have to keep praying harder and be hopeful. He will be fine in shaa Allah."

I sighed. " Thank you very much for being there for my family in my absence, I really appreciate it. We will keep on praying like you said, may Allah grant him shifa. In shaa it will come to pass."

"In shaa Allah. I wish you a safe journey,"

I had to call and tell her this morning, she was so excited.

***

"I missed you so much uncle, but ya Zainab didn't tell me you were coming." Said the ever loving and intelligent chu chu, pouting.

"I guess she wanted it to be a surprise, didn't you like it?"

"I love it." he said, hugging me.

It wasn't long I came in, but not after shopping for them.

Uncle and aunty came in afterwards, we exchanged pleasantries. He told me he went to visit dad three days ago, he complained about how he looked pale. He comforted with sweet words before leaving the living room.

I didn't realize they have left until someone placed a hand on my shoulder in a comforting manner, it was Usman. I looked up and smiled at him.

We talked for some time, i teased him about being too big in ss1, he laughed and left saying he'll send Fannah in.

"We have started preparing to write WAEC." Said Fannah.

"That's great Masha Allah, I wish you the best of luck."

"Thank you,"

"Now, can I see my princess."

She pushed her head backward and laughed. "She'll come in soon, let me get going, I don't wanna ruin the moment," she said the last part in a sing song.

I chuckled.

Some maids came in two minutes later to bring in refreshments.

Really!

And then she came in, the woman that stole my heart, the love of my life. She looked so beautiful in her red and black ankara gown with a beautiful turban embedded with colorful stones, Masha Allah.

Lower your gaze Abdulmalik.

But I couldn't, she sat on the sofa apposite mine and all this while she wasn't looking at me.

Oh the shyness!

After ten minutes, she spoke first, we talked about random things. I commented on her look, I could swear I saw her cheek turn red. We confessed the love we have for each other again. Which was nice for it took some the pain off my chest.

I left after magrib prayer, but not after giving them the gifts I bought for them. I said my goodbyes, telling them I'll leave for Maiduguri immediately after Subhi prayer. I stopped at a petrol station, filled my car tank and drove off to my parents house.