Chapter 21

I barged in to the doors and frantically walked to the ER, with dried up tears on my face. 

I had banged on Jakes door long enough to know he wasn't inside, so I left the house, leaving him missed calls and messages.

Which room, WHICH ROOM?? 

I turned corners and followed signs and just as I turned another corner, I bumped into someone.

"Um Sorry." I mutter, trying to get around the person, my eyes still frantically looking around. 

"Beth? They're down the hall."

I turn back to the guy and see it was Thomas. 

"Thank you, T." I said, running to the direction he pointed to. I slow down, when I see Jake sitting in one of the chairs, with his head in his hands. 

"Jake!" I say causing him to shoot his head up.

His eyes were bloodshot and he had tears streaming down his face as well. He got up and hugged me, then went back to his seat, slumming down in it.

"What happened to her?" I ask him, sitting beside him.

"Drinking and driving." He whispers. 

"Again. What does she think she's doing?! She's just hurting herself more!" I said out louder than I expected, earning looks from some nurses. I wiped the tears from my face, running my hands through my hair.

"I don't know, Beth. I don't know anymore." Jake mutters, rubbing his hands over his face.

"It'll be alright, right? Mom's a fighter yeah?" I whisper, my voice sounding hoarse, as Jake nodded from beside me. Thomas comes back with two coffees and hands one to Jake.

"I'm gonna get some food. You coming?" I said to them both, after half an hour of waiting. 

"I'm good." Thomas said, while Jake shakes his head. I get up and go out of the hospital and walk done the street to the nearest Starbucks. 

I head in, not caring if I looked like shit, and order a large coffee and two sandwiches. I take it back to the hospital when Jenny messages me:

Jen: Where you at? I'm at your doorstep.

B: at the hospital, moms been in an accident.

Jen: What?! I'm on my way.

I head back to the hospital and give Jake one of the sandwiches, but he doesn't take it. 

"Jake, eat this. I'm not going to let you starve yourself." He sighs and takes his sandwich. I sat back down and shut my eyes.

-Flashback- 

Mom was standing in the kitchen with Jake. They both were laughing and making a cake, as today was my birthday. I was sitting next to Dad on the couch. He was showing me pictures of  Jake and me when we were young. We were all happy. 

In the album, I stopped at a picture of two girls holding Dad's hand. 

"Whose that, Dad?" I asked pointing to the girl next to me and Dad. 

"Uhm That's your cousin, sweetie." He said nervously. I frowned at him knowing that he was lying.

Why did he lie? 

Dad gets up. 

"Ok girls and Jake, I'll be heading out to get some things for the special occasion that is Annie's birthday here." He says smiling at me.