10. trouble

Dally's POV

i was feeling a lot better from being hungover, but i decided to take a nap cuz i wanted to. i was havin' a weird dream when someone kissed me on the cheek. i didn't wanna wake up, but i was curious as to who the hell would wanna do that to me. then i realized there was only one girl in the gang. Shyla Grace Curtis. unless someone was gay for me. i can see 1 or 2 people being gay. that probably wasn't the case, so i just assumed it was Shyla. i woke up and saw no one in the living room. the house was very quiet, and it usually wasn't. it worried me, but not too much.

i got bored so i went out looking for police trouble. Darry isn't happy when i get arrested, but he won't beat me for it. i'm always in jail nowadays. i couldn't think of anything to do, and no killing people. i could get a death sentence, and if i did it would kill Johnny. literally.

i finally found myself walking into Tasty Freeze. i had been carrying an unloaded heater, don't ask why cuz i have no idea why. everyone in the place looked at me and started whispering. i gotta reputation that i actually don't mind. i saw an old lady at a payphone outside the window. her bony fingers dialed "911." i guess that's one way to get arrested. just being yourself. your bad, greasy, hoodlum, self.

Shyla's POV

the cops drove me to the station and got me into a cell. i was already guilty cuz i'm a greaser and everyone's against us. i was gonna be in prison for a 5 year sentence. the prison cell wasn't the worst, but it was far from the best. it could fit 2 people. i was the only one in it so far.

after a couple of hours, i heard some jingling of keys and handcuffs. and heavy footsteps. they sounded like combat boots. i saw the cop first and he was opening my cell. a few seconds later, the criminal in handcuffs made himself visible. of course it was Dally. i mean, who else could it be?

"are you following me or somethin'?" i question. "why would i do that, i was just takin' a stroll down to Tasty Freeze. some old lady called the cops on me on just being myself. my bad, greasy, hoodlum, self." Dally was very close to me now. as he said those three adjectives, he took steps towards me. "the one question i have is, did you kiss my cheek this morning?" he asks. oh shit. i forgot i did that. "gotta problem?" i say. "nope, just wondering." he sat down on his bunk and put his head in his hands.

Darry's POV

"where the hell is she? she should be back by now!" i said, pacing back and forth the living room. "she's fine, Dar. i know when she's in trouble, trust me," Soda says calmly. how can he be ok with all this? how can he stay so optimistic? i decide to head to my room to clear my head. then i heard the phone ring.

"are you the legal guardian of Shyla Curtis and Dallas Winston?" the voice spoke. "only Shyla, but Dallas is also part of the family," i say worriedly. "we have them in custody, they will have to stay here for 5 years, unless you bail them out," the voice sounds like it's making fun of me, and my money problems. i hang up the phone. i stomp all the way to my room and slam the door shut, almost knocking the door off its hinges. i knew i was going to have to cool down sometime, but i was way too pissed off for that.

boy, Shyla's gonna get it tomorrow.