28. happy

Darry came in my room and woke me up. i'm normally not a morning person, but today i was extremely excited and happy. "rise and shine sleeping beauty!" Darry hollered. i got up and hugged him tight. when i let him go, he gave me a dumb-looking face. "morning Darry! i love you!" i squealed happily. i skipped outta my room and almost tripped down the stairs.

Soda and Pony were already at the table and i went up and hugged all of them. the both gave me weird looks, like i lost my marbles or somethin'. "what? can a greaser not hug their family?" i smiled. "are you okay?" Pony asked me. "if you want, i can take you to the hospital," Soda pointed to the truck outside. i laughed out loud. "you guys are silly!" i said, then playfully punched them both in the shoulder.

after eating some breakfast, i glanced at the clock. "golly, we're gonna be late for school!" i exclaimed. i then grabbed Ponyboy and pranced upstairs so that we could get dressed. i shoved him in his room and quickly got into mine. i picked out some ripped skinny jeans and Pony's sleeveless sweatshirt that i stole. "Pony, you almost done?" i hollared. "yeah," he yelled back. i smiled and snatched my white high-top converse.

"why are you wearing Pony's shirt, Shyla?" Soda asked me. "because i wanna be twins with him too!" i said happily. Soda rolled his eyes. "c'mon Pony! now we're really gonna be late!" i yelped. Darry came out of nowhere and demanded both of us in the car. i happily obeyed him.

"have fun kid siblings," Darry grunted. on the way to school, i turned on the radio and The Beatles started playing and i sang to it. i guess Darry and Pony didn't like it. i laughed as i realized it.

because i was late, i raced all the way through the halls to Mr. Valish's class. i got in finally and he called me out. "and where, miss Curtis, have you been?" "sorry, Soda woke me up late," i lied. i didn't want anyone to know about how Dally was in the hospital, and i was too busy thinking about him. i heard someone whisper, "she means the dumb one that works at the DX down the road." a girl sitting near whispered back, "he's a doll though. complete eye candy." Soda was a dropout, but that doesn't mean he's dumb, i thought bitterly. i saw Steve stir in his seat after he heard the first comment.

**TIME SKIP**

Steve, Pony, Johnny, Two-bit, and i walked over to the DX after school. i think that's what we're always gonna do after school, visit Soda. occasionally we would walk back so Steve could get ready for his shift. "Soda, someone said you were dumb in class today," i tattled. "give 'em a high five," Soda said sarcastically. "someone's on their period," Two-bit snickered. then i remembered i needed to pick Dally up from the hospital. "sorry guys, i gotta skidaddle on outta here, see ya later!" i happily danced into the truck and drove to the hospital.

i casually walked inside, interanally i was freaking the heck out. i was so excited although i dodn't show it. the receptionist recognized me and called me over. "i'll have Mr. Winston out in a jiffy for you, sweetheart," she said politely. "thank you so much," i said, then found a seat in the waiting room.

after a little bit of waiting, i heard Dally saying, "don't worry, i got it." i looked towards the doors and Dally was kind of limping. i hurried over and asked if he was alright. "yeah i'm fine. just sore," he answered. i looked at him and we both smiled at each other. "wait here, i'll get the truck," i said then apran towards where i parked Darry's car.

after some staggering, Dally finally made it back home. "now you just sit. i don't want you gettin' shot anymore, you hear me?" i said firmly. "you sound a lot like Darry there, Shy," Dally looked at me. i put my hands on my hips, "well, that's fine by me. i just don't want you getting hurt again." Dally sunk into the couch, "hey, i get to sit here and do absolutely nothing. i'm set."

buenos dias muchachalatas. hope you enjoyed the chapter!