Chapter 13

I dream of thunder and flashing light.

It all sounds so real, I can't wake up.

The ground rumbles as the sky opens up, the clouds parting to release the magnificent strike.

Sand flys up at the impact, leaving a blackened hole in its wake.

Beautiful.

Nature is beautiful.

Or maybe it's the sound of Newt's voice that's makes the horrific destruction so mesmerizing to me. It's practically screaming at me to wake up.

Wait. Newt?

"CARLY? BLOODY WAKE UP! WE GOTTA GO! NOW!"

"WHATS WRONG WITH HER?"

They have to scream loud to be heard over the thundering sound of the flashing lighting.

"I DONT KNOW! I THINK SHE THINKS SHE'S DREAMING. CARLY PLEASE WAKE UP!"

I feel hands shaking me. But this couldn't be real, could it? Why can't I open my eyes? It feels like they're being controlled.

"NEWT THERE'S NO TIME!"

"IM GONNA HAVE TO CARRY HER!"

"JUST HURRY!" The voice fades away.

I feel hands move under me. One hooking under my knees while the other moves around my back.

I was being carried bridal style through the wind.

I just now noticed the wind. It was whipping at my clothes. If it was wasn't for Newt holding onto me I surely would have fallen over.

I try to open my eyes but they press close. I scream in my head. Why can't I open my eyes?!

Rain begins to pour along with the rain. I don't know how I can see the lighting when I can't open my eyes. It's like it was being played on a screen behind my eyelids before me, but everything else was cut out, including Newt.

I finally decided to just let my eyes stay closed instead of fighting against the pain.

As the rain splashed onto my face my eyes shot open causing me to gasp in shock. I hadn't chosen to open them! What's happening to me?!

An unrealistic amount of rain was falling from the sky, soaking everything in its path instantly.

The lighting was even more shocking. It wouldn't stop barreling down from the sky, almost hitting the scattered gladers who were running towards the large city. It was so close now I could see the outline of windows and doors in the buildings, but we still had about a half mile to run.

Newt was trailing behind, no thanks to me.

"NEWT!"

"OH MY GOD, YOU'RE AWAKE?!"

"PUT ME DOWN! YOU CANT RUN AND CARRY ME FAST ENOUGH!"

He's reluctant to do so until a bolt of lighting touches down just a few feet from us.

He places me lightly on my feet and takes my hand in his so he can pull me along faster. We just have to make it to the building and we'll be safe. I feel like eveytime we reach our destination we have to move somewhere else to be safe again. It's like an endless, tiring circle, but if we stop we die.

The lighting is come down as fast as the rain, almost hitting us by mere inches.

I hear a scream to my left mixed with the sound of a crash. Someone got hit.

And then another. How many did we lose? Will I even know who they were? Would I be sad if I didn't? Would that make me a bad person? I know that I feel sad, theres a huge gaping hole in my chest for the way I feel, but I cant properly mourn for them.