Just Call Me Chuck Pt. 2/2 • Chuck Shurley AU

The next morning you went out to empty your post box, again. This time it seemed to be full of advertisements only which is why you threw the content in the trashcan right away. Your eyes fell on the - again - overfilled mailbox of your neighbour. You just shook your head and went inside to get ready for work.

As you came back a package was in front of your door. It was a delivery of an online retailer where you ordered some items a few days ago. You were quite surprised. Not about the delivery itself, because you ordered it, but rather about the fact that someone seemed to have accepted it. Usually everyone in your house was working every morning and your crazy neighbour never opened the door for the post man. This time he seemed to have.

Usually it wasn't that special to accept a package for someone but for your neighbour it was even special to even open the door at all. You wanted to thank him for some reason and therfore rang his bell. He - of course - didn't open the door.

You went back to your apartment and took a paper.

"Thank you.", you wrote on it and placed the note in front of your neighbour's door.

As you wanted to go to work the next morning you almost stepped on the small piece of paper in front of your door.

"You're welcome.", it said in a smutty handwriting.

You had to smile. Maybe it was possible to bare his heart.

As you came back from work you randomly decided to cook for your neighbour. He looked as if he didn't have a proper meal since a long time so you made a decent lunch and filled a generous portion in a lunchbox for him. Then you placed the box and a little note in front of his door. To have him at least noticing that you were there you once rang the bell and then immediately went back to your apartment without waiting for him to open the door. He wouldn't open anyway as long as you were in the hall.

That's how it went for weeks. You wrote notes to one another, the other one replied. Sometimes you cooked meals for him or brought his post upstairs. In return you mostly became short poems or stories he wrote. He was actually a talented writer, you had to admit that.

The small notes became actual conversations soon and after some time you even wrote letters to each other. It was amazing to talk to him in some way. Every day when you came home from work or got out of bed you were actually excited for his post. You almos forgot how weird he seemed to be to you first.

After some time you trusted each other more and more until your neighbour even told you his story. He had a horrible childhood and a tough life path in general. That's why he started writing stories. If you would have had to go through all the crap he had to go through... You don't even know if you would have made it out alive. You almost understood him. Why he was so peculiar, why he didn't trust anyone, why he saw no meaning in life. You probably wouldn't be any better if you had his fate.

One morning the post box of your neighbour flew over again so you took the post that you couldn't take without having keys to the post box and took it upstairs for him. As you just wanted to place it on the doormat he suddenly opened the door and your neighbour stood right in front of you, dressed in his usual grey bathrobe.

You startled for a short moment. To write letters to him was something you got used to as time passed but to actually stand in front of him was still strange to you.

"I... was just about to leave.", you explained quickly and turned on your heels but your neighbour softly held your arm.

"Wait..", he said, "I wanted to apologize. How mean I have been back in the days..."

"It's fine.", was all you could say but it was honest, too. You weren't mad anymore. Now, as you knew him better, you almost could understand him.

"Honestly?", he asked and looked down on the floor.

"Yes, honestly.", you replied and smiled at him.

All he did was closing the door again and you went back to your apartment.

As it became evening you opened the new letter of your neighbour and were just about to read it as your bell suddenly rang.

You opened the door and almost couldn't believe who was in front of you.

"Wow...", you begun and couldn't hold back a smile. You were really happy that your neighbour at least once left the house of his own volition.

"I'm sorry if I'm disturbing you in any way...", he started, almost shy, "But I thought we could talk to each other in person."

You looked at him. His beard was trimmed and instead of sweat he smelled freshly showered.

Of course you asked him to get inside.

You talked the whole evening about almost everything, drank wine together and watched TV. After some time you fell asleep and as you woke up you laid on your couch, your head resting on the shoulder of your neighbour. He appeared to be awake, too.

"I'm sorry.", you whispered and stood up.

"If you want to, you can sleep here.", you offered to your neighbour, "But you would have to take the couch then."

But before you could even finish your last sentece your neighbour was already asleep again. You decided to let him lay there and went to bed.

As you woke up the next morning your neighbour wasn't there anymore. For a short moment you were scared you possibly could have overstrained him. Maybe you shouldn't have left him alone either. But instead of worrying anymore you decided to simply go next door and look for him.

As you rang the bell he actually opened the door. The smell of burned bacon was clearly smellable.

"I wanted to make breakfast for both of us.", your neighbour explained, grinning. You never saw him that happy before. "Didn't turn out that well."

You had to laugh. Somehow he was actually quite cute, if you were honest.

"Do you want to get in anyways?", he asked after some time. You were pretty astonished. He actually invited you in his apartment. You affirmed immediately. You wanted to help him cleaning the mess in his apartment since a long time. Maybe you could cautiously offer it this day. But as you entered the living room you quickly noticed that this wasn't necessary anymore.

"You cleaned up?", you asked skeptically and looked around. The apartment looked pretty clean. No comparison to the conditions you saw before.

"I'd say you inspired me.", your neighbour grinned at you. He looked so determined and actually happy that it warmed your heart. "Thank you so much. For everything."

"You're welcome, Mr Shurley.", was all you said. You smiled at him. You only knew his name because you heard the police man saying it back then.

He smiled at you, with the most beautiful smile you've ever seen.

"Just call me Chuck."