Twisted World Pt. 2/2 • Matt Cohen AU

*trigger warning* *trigger warning* *trigger warning*

Do NOT read 'Twisted  World' if you are sensitive or might be affected by topics like suicide, selfharm, depression or similar mentions!!!

***
You carefully washed the liquid off. Your skin was a bit reddened but at least it didn't look burned or anything like that.

Suddenly a door opened and your teacher stood in the door frame.

„You are aware that this is the ladies restroom, aren't you?", you asked reproachfully.

„What kind of game was that?", asked your teacher, looking pretty mad, „You need to wash off that liquid."

„I know. And that's what I just did.", you snapped back and rolled your sleeve down quickly. As you saw him looking at you concerned you added that you were fine.

„Can I see it?", he asked, still looking at you concerned.

„No way!", you exclaimed and quickly hid your arm behind your back.

You didn't want him to see it. To be honest: You didn't want anyone to see it.

Suddenly you felt this burn on your arm again but you didn't want your teacher to notice you you tried to remain calm but didn't really succeed.

„You're still in pain...", noticed your teacher.

„Mr Cohen, I am fine.", you assured him but you couldn't hide the pain anymore.

„Put it under water once more!", shouted your teacher but you refused. You couldn't do it in front of him.

What he did now was something you wouldn't have expected at all.

He took your arm and held it under the jet of water.

He even rolled your - now wet - sleeve up.

„Are you insane?", you yelled, panicking, and pulled it back immediately.

„I saw it anyways now.", he gave bluntly back.

What you were expecting now was a spate of sorries and pity.

Tears filled your eyes. You never wanted anyone to know. Especially not without you telling them. It was your story and you wanted to decide when you tell it and who. This was definetly not how you wanted it to be told.

The spate never came.

Instead he asked softly: „Should I leave?"

You nodded. You couldn't manage to talk right now.

And he actually left the room.

You cleaned your arm until nothing burned anymore and tried to calm down.

As you started to breath relatively normal again and your eyes weren't that red anymore you went outside the restroom. Your teacher was still on the floor and seemed to have waited for you.

„Do you want to leave school and go home?", he asked but you just shook your head and moved past him, back to the chemistry class.

The remaining 20 minutes of the lesson you didn't participate at all. As the bell finally rung you tried to sneak out of the classroom as quickly as possible but your teacher approached you again.

„Y/N...", he started and you turned around. You basically had no choice anyways. „I just want you to know that I won't tell anyone."

„Thank you.", you murmured. You had no idea what to say. You were so ashamed. It might have been years ago but the scars were still so visible and present.

„You can always talk to me.", he added softly.

You thanked him again and quickly went to your next class.

The following chemistry lessons were awful. Mr Cohen tried to be as neutral as possible about the situation and you tried to behave like a normal student but somehow neither of you managed to create a relaxed atmosphere.

The tension between you was almost visible.

After a few weeks passed your teacher approached you again after class.

„Can I tell you something?", he asked, looking at you with widened eyes.

„Sure.", was all you said, looking on the ground. You couldn't look at him.

„At university were a lot of people with scars like yours.", he said. He said it with an intonation like it was the most normal topic ever. „Not only there, to be honest. At my old school were students, too... But that's not the point. The point is: I don't judge anyone for their past, y/n."

You had no idea what to say now so you just said nothing and kept staring at the ground.

„Honestly.", added Mr Cohen. „It might sound stupid but you can't change it now. The scars are there..."

You swallowed. Yes, he had a point. But hearing that didn't help at all.

„Very helpful. Thank you.", you said sarcastically. All you wanted was to leave the room before he could say more bullshit.

„I didn't mean it that way!", explained your teacher quickly before you left. „I wanted to say... The scars are there now and they are a part of you. A part you can accept. There's no need to be ashamed."

„But I'm not proud either.", you said plainly.

„You're not supposed to be.", replied your teacher and raised his eyebrows, „But you can still accept this part of you. As your past. And now you do better and walk right into an amazing future which is right ahead."

Somehow these words made you feel...something. Of course they weren't that catchy or touching but they touched you. Never before anyone told you something uplifting and it felt good to at least hear something like that for once.

„Thank you.", you said, smiling at him. This time you even actually meant it that way.

After that conversation many more followed. You stopped professional therapy a few years ago when you started stopping to hurt yourself. It just didn't make sense to you anymore. And since then you actually stayed clean.

But you were never happy.

Until you met Matt Cohen.

Matt Cohen, your chemistry teacher. Who you never liked before but who owns a very special place in your heart now.

Matt Cohen who somehow always found the right words to touch and uplift you.

Someday he even invited you to his place and you would actually consider him a friend by now. If not your best friend.

He quit his job as a teacher. He wanted to try acting from then on.

And you already knew that you would support him by making his dream come true, just like he was supporting you every single day.