Family

I don't care that my feet hurt. Or that I am famished. Or thirsty. Or how long we have to walk. I just walk. In a daze. I'm a mess on the inside. You kay? Lily asks. I nod. She chuckles. Okay should not even exist. I mean look at us! I shrug. I really am sorry about earlier, she whispers. I dont answer. I mean how can we keep fighting? Its so retarded that its almost funny. I do not get the joke! I grumble. That girl back there, she died. And you saw it happen. How did she look in the end? as her life faded? I thought hard. Her expression as she died, Almost relieved. Its like she wasnt scared much! I admit. Lily sighs. The thing I am afraid of the most is not dying. Its dying here. Without ever getting out. But sometimes I think should we even try? For all we know home could be worse. Here at least we have each other. Maybe we should just build our own home. Live a quiet life. As a family. But.. I want to snap at her. Give up? Stay here? But I know deep down that she is right. The real world would be more blood thirsty. Our families would be dead. We would be freaks. Probably experiments. Here we were free... But human souls can never be satisfied. I could never live with myself if I gave up. Not ever. What I mean is even though we do not want this, Lily says. We are here! And things could be worse. We are surviving right? And we have each other. We may not seem like much but we a a family... A stupid, crazy and broken one but still a family. And you can count on us Amara! For now and always. Dont die before you die. Live! Make the best out of this crazy situation. You have to admit. This place is beautiful. And for the first time I noticed a daisy on my right. The moss on the trees, the scent of fresh grass. The chill in the air, the blue sky. The birds song, mixed with the sound of Lee and Louis laughing. Katie swinging on Lee's shoulder. It was beautiful. I do not knew why. I smiled. A tear ran down my cheek. Lilly wiped it. I held her hand. Family, I whisper. She nods. We head off into the unknown.