|21| aloha wau iā 'oe (I love you)

I wake up the next morning to Alex whispering 'wake up' into my ear

"Hey silly goose."

"Hi, auntie. Mommy said I can wake you up because it's past noon."

"Is it really?" I say as I grab my phone from my nightstand to check the time, but I notice three missed calls from Danny and about 10 texts. "Alright bud, I'll be out in a minute okay?"

"Okey doke. Better hurry. We're gonna have lunch on the lawn."

"Awesome." I say trying to fake a smile as I read all of Danny's texts.

'Brook answer your phone'

'Brooklyn'

'Look there's something going on and I need you to answer your phone'

'Steve's hurt. He won't leave me alone until you answer.'

'He's in surgery now. I will update you.'

'He's doing good. Doctor just updated us.'

'He's out of surgery. They were able to get everything and they set his arm back in place.'

'im going in to see him now'

'he says...well grumbles, hi and to tell you he's fine. which is what he always says, but he's looking much better'

'call me when you wake up'

'we are headed home now. he wouldn't let the doctors keep him there any longer. he's doing okay, i'm gonna stay with him for today'

I felt like I couldn't breath. I don't know what happened to him and it scares me. There's a knock on my door, but I don't say anything. I was just staring at my phone.

"Hey, alex said- woah what's going on?" Emily says shutting the door and walking over to me.

"It's.. it's Steve. I guess he was hurt. He had to have surgery, i'm not really sure why, but I think it had something to do with his arm.. I guess the surgery went well and he was able to go home about ten minutes ago."

"When did this happen?"

"I don't know. The first text from Danny was from about two in the morning."

"What happened?"

"I don't know. I just saw all of these. I need to call Danny."

"Okay. I'm gonna stay right here." She says sitting on the side of my bed. I dial Danny's number and it only took one ring for him to answer.

"Hey Brooklyn."

"Danny, what happened?"

"Steve got caught in some cross fire and he got shot a couple times and beat up pretty good. He's got a couple stitches around his eye, but everything is okay.  Brooklyn he's fine now. He really is. He's sleeping right now because of the pain meds. He's got some stitches and broken bones in his arm, but he's doing great."