|25| Floor Pancakes

I wake up to a soft knock on the door and I just groan and roll over

I wake up to a soft knock on the door and I just groan and roll over. I feel the sheets move up and Steve say "come in." The door opens and I barely hear footsteps, meaning it's probably Alex.

"Steve? Can I ask you a question?"

"Yeah buddy. What's up?"

"Is auntie asleep?"

"I think so. Why?"

"Well, my mommy told me that you're not technically my uncle, so I need you and auntie to get a baby or something." I just about choke but I'm still pretending to be asleep.

"Get, a baby?"

"Yeah."

"Well buddy, babies are in the future. I don't know if it's gonna be anytime soon."

"But I want you to be my uncle."

"Tell you what. I'll talk to your mommy and see if we can't work anything out."

"Thank you, Steve!"

"Welcome buddy." I hear the door close and Steve let's out a slight chuckle.

"Get a baby?" I ask with a small laugh.

"I guess so. Where does one... get a baby?"

"I have no clue. You think they have some at the abc store?"

"I mean I haven't seen one there before, but we could always check."

"I'm telling you, that kids imagination is unlike any other kid I have ever known."

"He's just crazy smart is what it is."

"I guess." I let out a small laugh.

"How are you feeling about yesterday?" He says rolling over and facing me.

"I think it went well. It was more than amazing to have everyone here and that we got to celebrate Alex. It honestly was amazing."

"I'm glad you enjoyed it." I could tell he wanted to say more.

"What?" I ask him.

"What do you mean?"

"I know there's something else."

"Just thinking."

"About?"

"Moms."

"Mine? Yours?"

"Both I guess."

"What's going on with your mom?"

"She's just very secretive. And now her past is catching up to her, or should I say me. She may be connected to what happened to me the other day."

"You mean you getting shot and breaking your arm?"

"Yeah."

"How is she connected to that?"