CHAPTER 34 FIRST ENCOUNTER

Rhaine's POV

"They look so happy together..." I stared at them; a family of six people having dinner in the nearby restaurant. While I was always alone, with no one to lean on. I grew up from the orphanage and I've never known my parents. Even in the orphanage, I was always a loner. I don't know why I couldn't mingle well with my fellow orphans. Maybe I'm weird? Every time I looked myself on the mirror, I would always see a fat girl with curly hair, blue eyes, round face with too many freckles and fair skin always wearing a white dress. I was ten years old then. Every morning I would always visit the lake beside the orphanage, carrying my white teddy bear. The nun who always took care of me told me they found me with this toy. So I assumed that this came from my parents so I always carried it wherever I go so that when the time came that they decided to see me, they'll be able to recognize me with this. Yeah, until now I was still hoping to meet them.

I was at my usual spot under my favorite tree beside the lake when a boy of about my age approached me. I never met him before. "What're you doing?" He stared at me but I didn't say a thing. I'm not good in crowds much less talking to strangers. "I see... Is that your family?" He asked as he stared at my drawing. The nun gave me a set of crayons months before but I never had a chance to use it and I almost even forgot about it. But as I fixed my things earlier, I found it hidden in my closet. "I don't have a family." I said shyly. The boy looked confused first but then realization hit him. "I'm sorry. I thought..." "Don't worry. I don't mind." I said as I continued my drawing. He sat beside me as he watched me draw. I moved further away from him but he kept on moving closer towards me. "Hey, I don't bite." He laughed and suddenly I felt embarrassed. "I'm sorry..." I looked down. I couldn't concentrate anymore. I was so distracted. As what I've said I always been a loner and no one ever bothered talking to me before. In fact it's the first time someone ever did. "And why are you apologizing now?" He asked smiling. "Uhm... I don't know," I looked at him. He was staring at me as if he was trying to figure me out. "You looked dumb," he said as he poked my forehead. "Am I?" He burst into laughter. "I was just kidding," he then pinched my cheeks. "Ouch! Why did you do that?!" I'm starting to get annoyed. "Coz you're cute?" "Really?" No one complimented me before and it felt great. "I'm just kidding," he laughed. Arghhh! I punched him hard hitting his face. He groaned in pain. "Whatever!" I forgot to mention that I'm a bit of a sadist. I was about to leave when he grabbed my arm. "Wait!" "Don't touch me, idiot." I pushed him hard and he lost his balance causing him to fall into the lake. He was drowning. I don't know what to do! I felt as if I was paralyzed and I couldn't think straight. I stared at the drowning boy while my tears kept on flowing. It's my fault! No! I cried and cried until I couldn't breathe well. It was my fault! Until... He stopped struggling and stared at me smirking. "I fooled you!" He shouted laughing at me. I felt my knees weaken as relief flooded me. He swam towards me. I was still crying. "I hate you!" I shouted as I cried harder hugging my white teddy bear. "I'm sorry," he said as he wiped my tears. "Why are you always carrying that?" He asked as he looked at my stuff toy. I ignored him though I felt guilty for pushing him. "What's your name?" I still ignored him. He then sneezed. "Go home. You're sick," I was about to leave him when he called me again. "Shy girl, I like you.  By the way, I'm Ashe."