CHAPTER 28 AWKWARD LUNCH

Xiennah's POV

He's smiling at me, the boy with a blurred face. He was saying something but I couldn't quite understand it since his voice was inaudible. We're in a seaside, sitting comfortably on the sand as we watch the sun set. The orange glow casted over the horizon reflected on his face. I felt water splashed my feet as I leaned my head on his shoulder. We were holding hands when I suddenly heard him saying "Xiennah". He's repeating my name over and over as he held my shoulder and shook me endlessly. "Hey! Xiennah! Wake up!"

I woke up suddenly. I'm wondering why I have this same dream over and over again for years now. I was so sleepy that I tried to close my eyes again but someone was shaking me endlessly. I found a very annoyed looking Ashe. We were under the only tree in the football field, my favorite place in the campus. We decided to stay here for a bit since we don't have class for two hours this morning. "I'm trying to wake you up but you're so impossible! You slept like a baby!" He complained as he scratched his head. "Why?" I asked sleepily. Ashe brought an acoustic guitar and he played with it as he sang some song. I don't know that he have a beautiful voice. So I fell asleep eventually. "It's almost time for lunch. I'm hungry." "Wait! What?! What time is it?! How about our third period class?" I panicked. "You overslept." He shrugged his shoulders as if it wasn't really a big deal. "And why didn't you wake me up?! What if I lose my scholarship here?! Will you replace it?! I couldn't afford the tuition here!" "Are you seriously asking me that? I tried to wake you up a dozen of times already and you wouldn't bulge. You have to thank me for calling our teachers telling them that you're not feeling well and you asked me to stay with you." He said smirking. "Besides, as long as you're with me, you'll be fine," he offered me his hand and I took it as I stand. "Whatever". We went to the school's cafeteria to eat our lunch together. Having a friend around wasn't really a bad thing. I don't need to eat alone in a corner. Besides, he always treats me so I could save money. Well, I'm not abusing our friendship. He always insisted me to accept whatever he gave me and who am I to decline, right?

We entered the cafeteria and ordered some food. There's no table available so I decided to just eat outside when Ashe held my hand and pulled me somewhere. I just found myself facing Chole and Rhaine who were peacefully eating in a corner. They were surprised. I saw Ashe smirked. I don't like this unnerving feeling that something not good might happen. "There's no table available, so can we seat here?" Ashe asked coolly. "No. Just ask someone else. You see, Rhaine wasn't comfortable with you." Chole butted in but Rhaine interrupted. "No, it's fine. The both of you can eat here with us," she said awkwardly. "Okay, though I'm not really asking you." I pinched Ashe for being so rude and he jerked back staring unbelievably at me. Though I hate her, I'm aware of her feelings for him and I knew how hard it was for her to suppress it. I knew how it feels, since we're in the same sinking ship. Loving someone who loves another was such a terrible experience after all. "Why did you do that?!" he hissed. "Why? Do you want me to pinch you again?" I warned. "You're such a sadist. You're lucky I like you," he said as he poked my face and giggled like a child. "Are you gay? You're acting like one." "Are you provoking me? Do you want me to kiss you, right now?" He smirked. "As if I'll let you." I remarked. "Now you just ruined my ego." He said then leaned closer to me as if he was about to kiss me. I moved back and tried to punch him but he successfully blocked it and he suddenly enveloped his arm around my waist. "You can try harder," he was laughing. He was so childish. We just stopped when we heard Chole coughed. They were staring at us, Rhaine was in the verge of tears and Chole's face was stone hard. "Are you still planning to eat here? Because if you too were just here to flirt, please get a room. You're grossing me out," Chole was so annoyed. We sat in front of them and started eating our lunch. The atmosphere was so awkward. "So, the two of you are now dating huh? I'm happy that you finally move on after all those years. It really gave me a relief knowing that some random girl was no longer chasing after me." Ashe said obviously provoking a very pissed Chole. "She's no any random girl. She's a family friend. And you have no right to humiliate her! And yes, we're dating. So what is it to you then?" Chole replied back. "I actually don't care. I never care before and never will. I'm just happy that both of you were together now because it means that Xiennah have to move on. And I could have my chance with her." I noticed Chole stared coldly at me before he looked away. "Good for the both of you, then." Though I was already aware that this might happen, it's still painful. I remembered all my memories with Chole and my chest tightens. "Dating huh? So it means that you're not really in a relationship now?" I asked hopefully. "Not yet. But we will." Chole smiled at me. I always loved his smiles. But I do really hate this one. So I decided to eat quietly before I could say something that I might regret later. But it doesn't mean that I'm giving up on him. I never plan on making Ashe my rebound. He's a friend and I'll never use him. I'm sorry Chole but I'm a very stubborn one. You'll never get rid of me. I'll do everything it takes for you to see my worth, no matter the consequences, even if it means losing everything to have you, so let it be. I'll definitely will.