CHAPTER 9 NEVER EVER DARE

Xiennah's POV

I woke up earlier than usual. I'm so excited and curious at the same time as to where Chole wanted us to go and the person we will be meeting. I bet this person was important for him since he looked so serious when he was talking about that person. I'm fixing myself when my step father suddenly barged in my room, drank as usual. "Hey you bitch! Give me some money!" He said as he walked unsteadily towards me. "I don't have any money," I said leaving the room but he grabbed me by the hair and pushed me forcefully to the wall. "When I'm talking, you should listen you ungrateful bitch! You're staying here in my house and you should be grateful about it." He grabbed my neck causing me to cough. "Now, where's my money?" "I said I don't have any!" I shouted. I'm afraid of him but I never showed my weakness. I never cried in front of him, instead I faced him frowning. "Get off me or I'll call a police," I said trying so hard to steady my voice. He laughed filled with malice and insult. "You bitch! You think you can do it. You can never ever dare. Before you can even make a move, you'll already be a piece of dead meat. That same goes to with your mother." He smirked. "But if you beg I might stop this." He slapped me right to my face causing my nose to bleed. "Or better give me some money NOW!" He punched me right to my gut. I was about to daze off so when he released me I instantly collapsed. He was still kicking me hard for so many times I lost count while I'm already on the floor. But still I never cried, I never beg nor said any word. I was so weak and the last thing I heard was my mother's sob and shout before everything turned dim.

I woke up alone in my room. I wonder where they went or what that asshole did to my mother so I walked around the house realizing that it's empty. I sighed. I badly wanted to leave that bastard but I know better. I don't want to leave my mother here with that devil. Though my mother also wanted to leave him, we know that we'll be dead sooner or later. I went back to my room and fixed myself. I decided to wear long sleeve and pants to conceal all the bruises in my body. I faced myself on the mirror. A single tear escaped and I wiped it immediately. I should not cry. Crying will not help solve our problems. I plastered a fake smile. It's been so long I'm wearing this mask and I don't have any plan to take it off even to Chole. I've been strong this whole time alone and I'll still be, given these circumstances. No matter what happen I'll not cry, beg, nor depend on someone because I have no one to lean from the very start.

I never told Chole my house because I don't want him to know my situation. I never intended him to know my mother, his husband and my shitty whore of a step sister. She's only sixteen years old but she had an affair with a married rich man in our place. That man bought her a condominium unit so she wasn't staying here with us. She never had a good relationship with his father that's why it was easy for her to leave him. Besides, her father loves her though so he can't and he'll never threaten her. But in our case, it's the other way around.

Chole and I decided to meet at the cafe I supposedly be working today. I know I was late so I hurriedly went there. I saw him drinking something from a mug. He saw me entered the place and he just frowned at me. I knew he's annoyed. "I'm sorry Chole, something came up," I said biting my lip. I knew I looked kind of guilty here. "I waited for almost an hour already," He said looking away. "Hey I'm sorry." I made some funny faces causing him to laugh. "You're such a retard," he said laughing. Then he looked at my clothes. "It's the first time that you wear such conservative dress. Something came up?" He asked while his eyes roamed all over me. I tried to stretch my long sleeve a bit further for fear that he might see some bruises. "I don't know. I mean I just felt like wearing this for no particular reason." He shrugged his shoulders as if dismissing the topic. "Let's eat here first. You know I hadn't eaten anything but I bet I'm the only one who's excited here. See, you're even late," he said obviously trying me to feel guiltier which was so effective. I just pouted making him laugh again. "Whatever you say, Chole! Anyways, let me guess. Is that a chocolate drink?" "Yeah, how'd you know?" He asked. "I just happen to have a chocolate addict best friend," I remarked. "And here's for you, Xiennah. I knew you love chocolate too," he said smiling causing me to smile too. "Do I have dirt on my face?" Chole asked suddenly. "None," I answered. "Xiennah, do you like someone?" "What?!" I'm obviously shocked. I wonder why he was suddenly bringing this topic up. "Yes, I like you Chole," I said honestly. He laughed nervously. "You like me because I'm your best friend, right?" He asked. No, Chole I like you more than a friend. I wanted to say it but I know I shouldn't. "Of course," I said instead. "Glad to know that. Maybe you just have a habit of staring at someone," He said more to himself. Staring at someone? Oh Shit! Am I staring at him for too long? "Xiennah..." He called. "Hmmm...." He was looking at me sadly. "Please don't fall for me, promise?" "Why are you talking like that?" I asked frowning. "Xiennah, please just say it. Promise me you won't fall for me. Never ever dare," he said holding my hands firmly. "I promise," I said. He smiled contented. But I already did Chole. I already broke that promise a long time ago. Since the time we first met, I just realized I already love you then.