Her savior 2 (Edith Sharpe)

They had survived, but not without consequences.

Alan considered himself lucky. He had not lost as much blood as he could have; Lucille's first stab had missed his lung, but barely. Thomas had struck true, quick, and missed all vital organs as well. The wounds were almost healed and hopefully vanish as well.

Edith had not been so fortunate.

It had been a week since Edith fell into coma states. Alan was waiting patiently to Edith's bedside, praying and hoping for some improvement in her condition. The poison has been cleared from her system and she should have been conscious few days ago.

Yet Edith was so still, so peacefully and so pale. Her slim figure remind him that she must be barely ate avoided Lucille's poison food. Alan slid his hand beneath Edith's, linking his fingers with hers. Her hand was cold in his, cold and limp, and when he squeezed, she didn't respond.

Alan's thoughts were suddenly interrupt by a male voice, bringing him back down to earth.

"Good evening Dr. Mcmichael."

Gently, Alan put Edith's hand back to her side. And Alan faced the doctor of the hospital, nodded, then replied formal answer. "Good evening Dr. George."

The doctor walked around and stood on the other side of the bed. He began to check on Edith with a procedure that Alan has known well as a doctor. Alan watched intently while doctor George was doing his job. The doctor let out a sigh. On the other hand Alan put a hope there's a glimmer of progress in Edith's state.

"We have done everything we could."

That's not the line he wanted to hear. Alan closed his eyes and exhaled an mount of air, he was worried. The doctor came up to lay his hand on Alan's shoulder and patted him. "Do no give up hope" giving him a smile of sympathy. Alan nodded without looking away from Edith who remained still and cold beneath him.

Alan believes she was a fighter, a strong woman, she had always been able to do whatever she set her mind to. She will get through this and wake up. She promised him. Unless she didn't want to and decided to end her path.

Her hair spread across the pillows, soft and gold, and her skin was pale ivory. His fingers grazing her cheek along the line of her jaw. "Edith," he whispered, his thumb sweeping along her cheekbone. "You promise me to not let go and I will hold you to that," he murmured close to her ear.

---

Edith had undergone a recovery period for several weeks. During Edith was down, Alan has set himself to write a list and asked villagers for help to retrieve Edith's belongings from the mansion. She might need them if she woke up. Alan even consulted lawyers to make sure Edith was free of all accusation that would leveled against her.

Alan often caught Edith drowned in such daydreams. Edith was gazing out the window. She rarely spoke. Her eyes seemed to look at non particular point and her mind was wandering at the moment. She has lost the child, their unborn child of Thomas. She began the rollercoaster of emotions all over. For everything she has been through, she has accepted completely what destiny set for her. Tomorrow she and Alan are going to leave England.

More than half of what her father's legacy still belongs to her. Yet she wasn't going to come back to America. She didn't need the looks of pity that they will send her. She planned to resident in another state. And she was planning to buy a new house, she will move on, and start a new life for sure.

Meanwhile, the newly decreased, charming Sir Thomas Sharpe was steeped in sorrow and shame for all eternity. He hasn't been dead for very long, yet he has been thinking, though, and he could not leave. Edith was still living, and he had to keep her that way. He will watch her. He will guard her. It will be his purgatory, his payment for all he has done in his life.