Chapter 22

Jen came back in the door just as I got off the phone with my brother.

"Got your stuff ready? If you're not in too big of a hurry to get home, on the way out of town there's this really cool old mansion I'd like to drive you by. It was built in the early 1900's and-" Jen stopped mid sentence when she saw the expression on my face.

She ran to my side. "What's wrong, Heather? You look like you've just seen a ghost."

"My brother just called, from Indiana. My mother was in a bad wreck last night and he wants me to come...."

"Go, Heather!" She said immediately.
"Come on, I'll drive you to the airport myself."

I stared at her face, which was filled with such genuine concern, and then sighed. "I just can't up and go across the country..."

"Of course you can. It's your mom."

Silence.

She was right.

"Okay," I said, and the word felt heavy, like a surrender.

An hour later I was at the airport.
Two hours later I was in the air.

My head was swimming with thoughts of indecision, fear, hope, but most of all, uncertainty. What was I getting myself into? I had my reasons for leaving. And I also had plans not to return, at least anytime soon.
But shit happens.
So here I was, expected to land in Evansville, Indiana at seven pm.
Proud Home of the Peony flower.

I took a taxi from the airport to St. Vincent Hospital, which was just a thirty minute drive. My heart was pounding the whole way there.

It took a few extra maddening minutes, but finally someone was able to tell me which room my mom was in. I rode the elevator to the fifth floor and headed down the hall.
The lights were already dimmed as this was probably considered evening hours. Most visitors gone for the day.

Here it is, room 512.

I gently pushed the heavy door open and stepped inside.

The room was dark except for a lamp near the window.
Will was sitting in the chair next to the bed, where I saw my mom.
She looked to be sleeping- I instantly searched for, and found, the rise and fall of her chest. Various tubes were attached to her.

Will's eyes lit up with new life when he saw me. He was very careful not to make any noise though, he rose from his seat and walked toward me.

"Let's go out here," he whispered and gestured to the door.

Once we were in the hallway and he'd closed the door behind us, he took a deep breath, then unexpectedly wrapped his arms around me in a hug. Shocked, I remained stiff.

Will pulled away.
"Can a guy not hug his little sister he hasn't seen since before he left for college?"

I kept my face straight. "I'd really prefer it if you didn't."

He frowned. "Same, sweet Heather."
His heavy sarcasm was annoying, but what I hated most was how much we sounded alike.

"Look Will, you asked me to come and I did. So will you please just tell me what exactly happened?"

He stared at me with guarded green eyes that were just a shade lighter than my own.

Then he sighed, as if in defeat.
"Let's go sit down in the waiting area. I'll explain everything."

We drank crappy hospital coffee together and I listened carefully as he told me a detailed story of the car accident and the condition of my mom, which the doctor considered critical but stable. She'd been in and out of consciousness, but mostly the latter. She'd cracked six ribs and her pelvis, had a severe concussion and
the doctors were checking for internal bleeding, which was likely.
She also hadn't spoken more than a few words in almost 16 hours, which worried them.