Chapter 40

The last couple months of the year passed by in a whirlwind - But two events that are worth noting are: first,
Eddie returned from San Diego once again and Mookie Blaylock played their second show.

And secondly, Chris and Susan got married.

I was there for both.

It was the second week in November, and I was, of course, working at the record store. It was mid morning; the day was off to a brisk and chilly start.
Amanda, and Caroline, who was on her way to becoming the steady girlfriend of Mike McCready, were waiting tables on the cafe side.
Jen and I were unloading a new shipment of records in the back.

I'd just told Jen what I'd overheard at the Halloween party.

"Are you sure?! You really think they're engaged?" She was shocked and-being a sucker for good gossip-intrigued.

"Oh I'm sure," I murmured. The image of the ring on Susan's finger and the obvious joy on her face flashed in my mind.

"Wow, that's something all right! And isn't she Soundgarden's manager?"

Though I'd forgotten that, I nodded. She was their manager.

"Can you just imagine?" Jen continued. "Chris Cornell, lead singer of Soundgarden, marries Susan Silver, band manager. Together, the the two rise to the top of the Seattle music scene!" She shook her head incredulously, laughing.

"What are the odds," I say weakly.

We finished putting the new records on display, then cleaned up and helped out with the cafe.
The early lunch crowd was beginning to pour in.

The next week passed without much change.
One afternoon while at home, I got a phone call from my brother, Will.

"Hey Heather, how are you doing?" His voice was clear and pleasant, like always.

I told him I was doing good; we chatted back and forth casually before he finally got around to his reason for calling.

"Well, Michelle and I wanted to invite you to come down for Thanksgiving."

"Oh! Um...." That caught me off guard.

"Heather, you haven't been home for a single holiday since you moved. Please just consider it."

"Okay," I said tentatively.
"I'll consider."

"Thank you. And if you come, your airline costs are on me."

"What? No way, Will. I couldn't let you do that."

"Sure you can." I could hear his smile through the phone. "I want to."

Will was persistent on his offer, and the next day when I called to tell him I would come, he happily booked my flight once we got off the phone.

The day before I was due to leave, Jeff, Mike, and Stone came into Easy Street later in the afternoon. I served them their lunch, and since we weren't busy, I sat down and chatted with them. When Jeff realized I was going out of town for the holiday, he mentioned that he was, too.

"Yep, back to Big Sandy for a few days..." Jeff murmured in a less than excited tone.

Stone laughed dryly, then shook his head.

"What?" Jeff questioned.

"That name just gets on my nerves. Big Sandy. Who names a town that?"

Jeff just rolled his eyes, then faced me.

"Hey Heather, what times your flight tomorrow?"

"9:30, I believe."

"Mines at 10:20. If you want, you can ride with me so you don't have to leave your car at the airport."