Chapter 3

"You're lucky it wasn't my mother that came to look for you."Jennifer said as she applied her powder on her face. October looked at her. This girl had sense. She was not like her mother, who happened to be October's aunt.

"As in. She would have dragged me by the ear." October said.

"Your Aunt Ayomide is so harsh." Olivia told October. "Sorry to say." Olivia turned to Jennifer as she said the last part.

"It's not new to me. A lot of people have told me that.I know my mother's harsh." Jennifer said.

"Can you take your two broomsticks off my bed?" October asked from the floor. Jennifer looked at her legs.

"You mean these two beauties? No way." Jennifer said. October hissed. "But on a serious note,you have to take that job. As your cousin, I command you to take it."

"I'm thinking about it too but I'm worried about my dad knowing where I am." October said.

"Your father? Heh! He doesn't even care." Jenny said.

"Thank you for making it so clear." October said rolling her eyes.

"And if it's Damien you're 'really' concerned about, don't bother.He's with- -" Jennifer shrugged. "The slug."

"You mean Jessica?" October asked.

"Don't mention her name where I am. She irks me." Jennifer said.

"Why do you two hate her?" Olivia asked.

"Oh, it's a long story. She, October and I attended the same primary school and had the same lesson teacher. We have a serious past issue together. She is a gold digger. She's lucky she's new money now. Her father just got lucky about four years ago. She should still be the poverty stricken fowl she was years ago if not for that." Jenny said with so much disgust. "Now because she is dating the heir of Amaechi Ekwegh, she thinks she owns the world. Who she epp? The dirty thing."

"Wait Jennifer, did she beat you up when you were younger? Which kind of hatred is this?"Olivia asked.

"It's mutual." October said. "She hates the both of us too."

"So, have you thought hard about the decision?" Olivia asked.

"I have to take the job. The rent is due in a month. Everyone in this room has a job including...." October's gaze went to Peppy who was listening to music from her earphones. Jennifer and Olivia looked at her too. The moment Peppy's eyes popped open, they all turned away and began clearing their throats awkwardly. "She - who -"October coughed in between her words, "should -not -be -talked -about -now." she said referring to Peppy. "No one knows her job but she brings money at least."

"Come, are you sure she's not occultic? This one that she doesn't talk."Jennifer just had to talk.

"God forbid. For my sake, God cannot let that happen."October said.

"I'm just saying oh." Jennifer shrugged.

"Shut up!" October and Olivia chorused.