Chapter 8

"The manager wants to see you, ma."Chizoba, Chinwe's daughter said as October walked into the hotel building.

"Thank you." October told her. Chizoba nodded and continued cleaning the entrance. It was seven a.m in the morning and October was in a good mood. She stopped at Mary's reception area behind her desk in the bright lobby.

After signing in, Mary frowned at her.

"Mr Obi wants to see you."

"Thank you.I'm aware."

"Whatever."Mary continued her work.

With a confused face, October took one last look at the receptionist and shook her head sideways.

Trouble always scratched people to look for it.

She walked towards the elevator and hopped in.

**********

October knocked twice. There was a small 'come in' before she opened the door and walked in.

"They said you wanted to see- - -" She paused when she noticed Kennedy was not alone.

There was a man sitting in Kennedy's seat while Kennedy was standing with his hands clutched behind him like he respected whoever he was standing in front of. The chair had been swiveled to the back.

October gulped hard immediately the chair swiveled to face her.

She was stunned and she couldn't say anything when his eyes met hers.

"There she is." Kennedy smiled like they had been talking about her before she entered.

"She?" Damien rose an eyebrow. He feigned laughter. Kennedy joined in too. October stared at Kennedy. Did he even know why Damien was laughing? What was funny?

"Are you joking with me?" Damien asked as he immediately stopped laughing.

"Eh?"Kennedy asked as his laughter faded slowly. He was confused.

"I told you everyone working here should be by my consent."Damien crossed his legs on the table.

"But, sir. Your mother- -"

"I don't care. Fire her."

"Your mother ordered - - "

"Whose hotel is this?" Damien asked.

Kennedy scratched his head.
"Yours."

"Then what are you waiting for?" Damien asked. Kennedy turned to October. October scoffed.

"Why?"October asked Damien.
Like she didn't know.
Forget the fact that he looked even cuter and his short dark hair was now curly, she had to face him. "I've been handling this business right for days now. Why do I get fired?"

She was really asking like she didn't already know the reason.

"Well, let's start with the fact that you're October Obiakor; and October Obiakor can't work here."Damien paused. "Or wait, I changed my mind. Demote her."

"But Aunty Claudia - - "October tried to say.

"Kennedy." Damien interrupted her, calling Kennedy. "Show her out."

"Yes,sir." Kennedy turned to October. "Let's go."

October scoffed.
"No need. I know the way." She said and turned before she walked out.

**********

"Unbelievable."Jenny said as she patted October's back. October's head was buried in her pillow."Why did he have to throw you out like that?"

"I don't blame him." October looked at her.

"I humiliated him years ago in front of like--the whole world."

"But still--"

"Now I've lost my position. He made me a cleaner. God. I don't need things to push me to go back to beg my father." October grumbled.

"And don't forget you still need to hussle like you were doing before." The both of them turned to look at Olivia. "What?" She shrugged. "The house bills won't pay themselves."

"Come, is she supposed to pay for all of you?" Jenny asked.

"No oh, I have my own share of the money." Olivia answered.

"Which work do you do self?" Jenny asked.

"Bank work." Olivia said.

"Like?" Jenny enquired.

"Bank work."

October rolled her eyes.
"She's a manager at Zenith Bank."October said.

"If it's the bill you're worried about, I can help."Jennifer offered.

"Mm-mhn. Jennifer,we know your father is rich. Please, don't flaunt it here for us." October complained.

"But your father is rich too." Jennifer said.

"Abeg. It doesn't help my life."

"Just go and beg him." Olivia said.

"Come,Vi. It's like you're running mad." October said.

"That's the best thing to do." Olivia said.

"Didn't you hear when I said he was serious when he told me if I didn't marry Damien, I shouldn't step my feet into the house or anything that belongs to him which includes the companies. Begging him will do nothing now. I don't even plan on doing so."October said before her phone began ringing. She looked at the caller ID and groaned before she picked up.

"Hello-----Aunty,yes---Aunty Claudia---Aunt Claudia."The line went dead. October dropped the phone and stomped her legs on the bed.

"What happened?"

•••••••••
A/N

Wordscope:

Which work do you do self:Which work do you even do?

Abeg: Please

Happy New Year readers!