Chapter 13

Lawrence was so confused. He stared at Mary.

“Sir,how may I help you?”she batted her obviously fake eyelashes at him.

Was she trying to flirt with him?

“I'm here for October Obiakor.”Lawrence said and smirked. He was so going to burst her bubbles. She frowned when she heard October's name but quickly covered it up.

“Sir,why do you want to see her?”

“Business.”

“Okay,I'll just inform her that you're here.”she pushed a few buttons on her telephone pad and phones October's office.

“Hello?Yes, someone is here to see you....”she paused for Lawrence to give her a name.

“Lawrence Obiakor.”Lawrence mouthed.

“A man named Lawrence Obiakor...”

Lawrence cleared his throat.
“Boy,please.” he corrected.

“I'm sending him in.”Mary said and dropped the telephone.

“Thank you.”Lawrence said.

“Just in case she doesn't do your ‘business’, I'm available. ”Mary winked.

Lawrence smiled.
“Sorry,” he looked at her name tag.“Mary,but I don't do old people”he paused,“with fake everything.”
Mary's smile disappeared. Lawrence smirked and turned to go.

Like how dumb could people be? Didn't she reason that the ‘Obiakor’ name belonged to both of them and they must have been related?What ‘business’ was she thinking of....

His thoughts were interrupted when he bumped into someone.

“Oh my God!”The person exclaimed, trying to pick up the papers that had fallen down when they bumped into each other. She picked them up and looked at him. They stared at each other for a moment. Chizoba knew she knew him from somewhere. Her eyebrows almost met before she gasped...and he smirked;he too already figuring out who she was. She turned to go immediately.

“Figure 3?”Lawrence called but Chizoba just ran towards the elevator.

                  * * * * * * * * * *

“If you're here to distract me,”October said to Lawrence, looking up from the papers on her desk as he walked in.
Lawrence waited for her to complete her statement.
“Do it now.”she slouched on her swivel chair. Lawrence looked around her office. There were papers on the floor,on the couch,on the desk, everywhere.

“You're so unkempt. What are you? The mad hatter?" He looked at the biscuit wrappers on her desk.“Or in this case,Dumebi the dirty girl?”

“Haha.”October fake laughed.“So, what's up?”

“Your brain .”Lawrence answered.October paused to process what he had just said.

“One day without insults. Just one day.”October shook her head.

“It's not an insult. I'm serious,your brain's up. That's why you can never think of insults for me.”

“ I choose not to insult people but it doesn't mean I can't.Seriously,why are you here?”October asked.

“Nothing. I was just bored at home.”

“My work is not your playground.”

“Whatever. Guess what I found out.”

“What?”October asked, uninterested.

“Remember that girl that beat me up in primary school because I insulted her mother?”

“Yeah,why?”

“She's working here. As a cleaner. Dark skinned,weaved her hair, shapeless.....”

“Chizoba?”

“Yes.”he snapped his finger when October called her name.“She.”

October laughed.
“No way.”

“I know, right? I have found a new reason to come here now.”

“Aren't you supposed to be in school?Are you skipping classes to be here? What an  SS3 student!”

“Summer lessons,duh.”

“I wish there were mid term breaks at work too.” October said after a while. Lawrence stood up.

“I can't believe I came to see you and you're so tired. Do you need help?”

“Yes, please.”October answered.

“Well,sorry but the number you dialed is not available at the moment.”Lawrence said and walked to the door. He opened it.“Please try again... never.” he walked out and jammed the door shut after him.