Chapter 20

@MaimunaMuhammed7:
Thank you.

"If you see the cafeteria eh, you will wonder if they are eating pizza and shawarma everyday. The toilet self,you will want to sleep there. I'm telling you,there are air conditioners in every classroom. As you're in the toilet,cool breeze will just be blowing you up and down from the air conditioner." Chizoba told Jane,one of the cleaners there. Jane was twenty four and she was like an elder sister to Chizoba who was almost sixteen.

"Then,the best part. There are white children there. See oyibo skin. As I went there today,eh,I didn't even want to come out."

"Do fast and write the scholarship exam. I'm praying for you." Jane said.

"Shh." Chizoba looked around."Remember I haven't told mommy yet."

"Even when you get in, how will you pay the twenty percent of the school fees since the scholarship covers eighty percent?" Jane asked.

"I can have various other jobs."

"Calm down. You're turning sixteen this year. How many jobs do you want to have? Don't stress yourself oh."

"The remaining twenty percent is just seventy thousand naira."

"Just? Remember you're still owing your present school and it's for two terms. Almost ninety something thousand."

"Don't shout it."

"Why?"

"I told Aunt October it was forty six."
Jane's eyes widened.

"She asked you?"Jane asked. Chizoba nodded. Jane slapped her on her head.
"That's for one term only. Why didn't you tell her the truth? That you're owing for two terms?"

"She has herself to take care of. She has needs, she's a lady. I don't want to be a burden. I'll work for this term's fees."

"Chizzy, your brother's sick,your mother is tired of working almost every hour of the day. Don't get sick too.At your age,you have two jobs and you're going for summer lesson since school has not resumed. What more can you fit in twenty four hours of the day?"

" I will find a way. God will help those that help themselves. I'm helping myself by reading, working and schooling so I must be successful. I don't even sleep at night anymore. This scholarship exam,I must pass it."

"You want to go and pay seventy thousand for a school per term. The seventy self is by God's grace. The normal school fees is three hundred and fifty thousand. Thinking about it now, it's not such a good idea to write the exam and go to that school anymore,with what is going on in your family."

"Aunty Jane, British Royal Academy is 'the' school. A lot of successful people today passed out from that school."

"How would you feel in the midst of all those rich, spoilt children?"

    * * * * * * * * * *
October halted and held back from walking towards them yet. Jane and Chizoba seemed so deep in their discussion. What were they saying about British Royal?

"I don't mind them oh. I'm going there to school. They mind their business,I mind mine. If they try anything like bullying in Korean movies,I will show them. They can't even fight. See me,"Chizoba beat her chest ."Agu."

"When are you planning on telling your mother?"

"When I get the approval letter. If I tell her now,she will try to discourage me,just like you just did.Watch out B.R.A,I'm coming for you."Chizoba announced into the air which made October laugh, remembering her secondary school days when she and the other British Royal Academy students would quarrel with Atlantic city school for calling them bras.