Chapter 66

"Take my advice Amanda, she's going to ruin your family and I'm the only saving grace you've got." Jessica placed her hand over Amanda's as they sat across each other in the restaurant.

Amanda slowly slid her hand away.
"I don't know Jessica, Damien warned me enough the last time. He had never spoken to me like he did that night at dinner. I can't go against his decision any longer. What he chooses to do is his business and not mine." Amanda lowered her gaze.

"You say that but within you, you're not comfortable with that leach. You know she doesn't love him like I do. No one can."

"I think your obsession with my cousin has gotten out of hand. It's unhealthy. You should just let him be Jessica, it's for the best."

"So what? Are you scared of Damien now?" Jessica scoffed.

"I'm not scared of anyone. I just think he should do what is best for him. I don't want any trouble anymore. I want to focus on other things."

"Are you serious Amanda? What has gotten into you? You used to loathe October so much. You want to leave me alone in this fight?" Jessica rose her voice.

"You don't understand. It was never my fight." Amanda looked around as she spoke calmly, trying to make Jessica understand. She didn't like the fact that heads had turned towards their table. "Look, I'm not saying I like October. I'm saying I want out of this- whatever this is. I don't know what I'll do if Damien should ever hate me."

"You're making a mistake, Amanda. I'll show you. I promise you that I'll do what it takes to get what I want." Jessica grabbed her bag from the table and stood up.

"Jessica...Jess-" Amanda called her back but she didn't answer. She just stormed out of the restaurant.

******************

Damien glanced at his watch from time to time as he waited for his driver to be done with shopping for groceries. Of all things his mother could ever disrupt his work for, it had to be for food.

He decided to occupy himself with the dull white stacked shelves. He could pick any extras he found necessary. He ran his hand through the bottles at the top of the shelf he was near.

"Care for bread spread?" Someone blocked his entire view with a jar; and then it was gone the moment it appeared. Damien turned. The least person he ever expected to bump into at a grocery store was standing right beside him.

"If I wanted it, I'd have gotten it." Damien replied coldly to Uyi.

"Not a fan of favors." Uyi nodded. "I see."

"Why are you here?"

Uyi raised an eyebrow.
"Um- same reason you're here."

Damien sighed. Of course, what else would he be doing in a grocery store?
"I'm sorry. I'm not in the mood to talk right now."

Uyi returned the jar of peanut butter to its original spot.
"You're never in the mood to talk."

"Meaning?"

"I finally figured out why you have always been hostile to me. It took me a long time, and I don't know why it did, but I figured you out."

"Aren't you supposed to be at work? You should have a lot of things to buy before you g-"

"It's October, isn't it?" Uyi cut him off. Damien paused. That made Uyi smile. "I knew it."

"What do you know?"

"Don't pretend Damien. Well, I'm in the mood to make people happy today so let me tell you that no matter what you're thinking about me and October, you have it wrong. I know you still don't believe we're just best friends." Uyi picked up three groundnut bottles from the shelf and placed them in his pushcart.

"Am I supposed to believe that?" Damien asked, trying to hide the look of relief on his face.

"I've read her diary. You shouldn't be worried, trust me, you're mentioned in there." Uyi was grinning from ear to ear now. "A lot of times." He added.

Damien smirked.
"You know what?" He looked at his watch. "I think I can spare a couple of minutes to get to know you more."

******************

"Ah! Forget it!" Ayomide exclaimed as Adesuwa brought out the crimson floral lace floor length dress from its box. "This girl? It won't fit."

"What do you mean?" Adesuwa held up the dress to October's body. October was exhausted. Both her mum and aunt had barged into her apartment unannounced earlier on, balances themselves on her couch and bombarded her with designer clothes and shoes. She had to choose one for her homecoming party a few days from now.

"When this ọjẹun will be taking chocolates like no man's business." Ayomide laughed.

October frowned.
"Aunt, if I understand right you're body-shaming me. And I'm not even fat."

"I didn't say so o." Ayomide rose her hands up.

October shook her head and finally sat down on the stool behind her. "I love this dress the most. I'm going to lose a few kilograms before the party. Aunt Ayo, bet it I'll fit."

"I hope so." Ayomide sighed and placed her fist under her chin to support it. "I'm not bringing needle and thread if anything was to rip."

"Mum!" October whined as she turned to Adesuwa.

"Ayo, leave her alone." Adesuwa places her hand over her mouth in an attempt to suppress her laughter.

October stood up to leave the living room.

"Wait, wait." Adesuwa called her back. October grumbled as she turned back to them.

"Why are you in a hurry? You haven't seen your jewelry yet." Adesuwa said.

"I'll see it later."

"It's from Verano jewelers."

"Just leave it on my couch."

"Before I forget, don't forget to bring the two ladies you stay here with. I have a little something prepared for them."

Olivia, sure. But Peppy?
October wondered how she was going to invite Peppy.

"And it's a must." Adesuwa added. October stuck her tongue out at her.

"I will not bring them."

"By the way, you shouldn't be late to your own party. I've explained how everything will go, from when you enter on the red carpet to when you'll be called up to the stage by your father, then after that you can do whatever you want with your life." Ayomide waved her off with her hand.

"Which reminds me, your father told me that he has shocking news for us and I'm eager to know." Adesuwa said. October noticed the sudden change in her mood as she made mention of her husband. If it wasn't her father's idea to throw a grand party then October knew her mother wouldn't have thought of this. Right now, the woman had her husband to take care of.

"Shocking news?" October centered on that in a bid to lift up her spirit.
That was before her phone began to ring. October looked around to check for where she had dropped her phone.

Ayomide picked you the vibrating phone from the couch she and Adesuwa were on and looked at the caller ID. She giggled and passed the phone to October.
"It's ọkọ wa."

October snatched the phone immediately and stood up to answer the call in another room.

"Where are you going? Don't hide from us." Ayomide laughed loudly as October walked away. October knew exactly why she was leaving. It was better to escape now before Ayomide would yell embarrassing things for Damien to hear over the phone.

A/N
ọjẹun- Yoruba word for glutton
ọkọ wa- Yoruba for 'our husband'