Chapter 77

October was glad she was able to find Louis before the auction began. The room they were in now had seats neatly arranged. There were not up to a hundred seats in there compared to the many who had actually come for the gala, meaning this was really for a select few.

When she spotted him, he was busy with his phone away from the crowd in the room. She walked up to him and then took a seat beside him, then cleared her throat.

He slowly looked up from his phone when he heard her.

"You being quiet about what happened makes me more concerned."

"Hmm?" He seemed lost for a second but then realized what she meant.

"I know you're wondering how I got the necklace." She paused. "You and I both know that you didn't give it to me."

"Look, I don't know how you got the necklace. But I definitely don't think you're flexible enough to climb up the walls of this place and get past security in a catsuit to steal it." He winked.

October was shocked. Why was he taking this lightly? Why wasn't he yelling at the guards? Why wasn't he frowning by now?

He clicked his tongue when he noticed her expression.
"Just take it as a 'thank you' for accompanying me here. You can return it after the gala if you want."

If you want.....
October nodded her head. Yup, this guy was definitely high on something.

Louis turned back to his phone and smiled. Her reactions to his words were amusing. He knew she wouldn't be comfortable taking it. He was still going to get to the bottom of it, knowing for a fact that she didn't steal it. He didn't know why but he just trusted her. Right from the moment they met back in the Philippines, there was just something about her. But someone was behind this and he or she was going to be in trouble. The Verano jewel was one of the most important designs to him.

He sighed. He wasn't going to auction anything this year.

October stole a glance at him, still trying to read him. He didn't really make sense right now. In fact, she was going to text Olivia right now and tell her what just happened here.

People were still moving into the hall so the auction had not even started yet.

Louis's phone began to ring.
"Excuse me." He told October before he stood up and walked away to answer his call.

"Oh, look who we have here." A voice October recognized all too well was what she heard next. October took a deep breath. What did she want now?

"See babe, someone we know." Jessica pulled Damien closer. "Can we sit? Would you mind?" She asked October, beaming from ear to ear.

October almost eyed her. What exactly was she trying to do? Was she really asking for permission to sit? Nah. She was doing it on purpose – because she was with Damien.

"Sure, whatever." October returned the fake smile.

Jessica intentionally left Damien to sit directly beside October and took the seat after his. Damien rolled his eyes and sat down.

Yup. It was clear now that Jessica wanted to make her upset or uncomfortable. She used the corner of her eyes to look at Damien. He wasn't looking at her. She sighed in relief. It wasn't awkward.

Wait. She wanted his attention also.

Why wasn't he looking at her?

She was the one who was supposed to be avoiding his gaze, not the other way round.

They continued in silence before Louis returned to where they were, looking so tensed. He whispered something to October and she nodded slowly.

Good thing, she didn't even want to be here anyways.